Barrel fill level

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavinxxx

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

Just joined today. Last week I filled a 30 gallon barrel with PN. Primary fermentation was almost complete - under 0 Brix. I inoculated with Malo bacteria. I filled the barrel to the top. A few days later I saw wine leaking from the breather bung. I pulled the bung off and wine etc exploded out. I cleaned everything up. Lowered the temperature in my cellar to 58. Today the bung popped by itself. A far amount of wine poured out. I cleaned the outside of the barrel with SO2 solution. I took more wine out with a wine thief. Hopefully this will not happen again. So my question is - how far do you fill the barrel initially and what else could be going on.

Thanks

Gavin

Welcome to WMT!

Your wine is still fermenting, so it's generating CO2, and that can vary the volume, as you have unfortunately discovered. If the ambient temperature is not steady, a few degrees increase in temperature will cause volume expansion, making it worse.

In your situations I'd allow for at least a gallon of headspace., This is not a problem during the final stages of fermentation and the first few weeks of post-fermentation degassing as the headspace will be mostly CO2.

I leave wine in glass for 2 to 3 weeks after pressing. If I have any fermentation left, it finalizes in glass. Gross lees supposedly drops within 24-72 hours of the end of fermentation, so that has time to settle out. Anything left after that is fine lees (yeast hulls), which is not a problem.

Then I homogenize my containers and give the wine a 1 minute stir, changing directions half way. This jump starts degassing, eliminating a lot of CO2. Finally I fill barrels. There is a lot less sediment in the barrel and the heavy degassing is mostly done.

Welcome to WMT!

Your wine is still fermenting, so it's generating CO2, and that can vary the volume, as you have unfortunately discovered. If the ambient temperature is not steady, a few degrees increase in temperature will cause volume expansion, making it worse.

In your situations I'd allow for at least a gallon of headspace., This is not a problem during the final stages of fermentation and the first few weeks of post-fermentation degassing as the headspace will be mostly CO2.

I leave wine in glass for 2 to 3 weeks after pressing. If I have any fermentation left, it finalizes in glass. Gross lees supposedly drops within 24-72 hours of the end of fermentation, so that has time to settle out. Anything left after that is fine lees (yeast hulls), which is not a problem.

Then I homogenize my containers and give the wine a 1 minute stir, changing directions half way. This jump starts degassing, eliminating a lot of CO2. Finally I fill barrels. There is a lot less sediment in the barrel and the heavy degassing is mostly done.
Thank you. I should have asked this question before filling the barrel!

Back