Best way to Heat up must after cold Soak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been cold soaking some Cab Sauv grapes for the last three days. Temps have been in the mid to high 40s.

The grapes have been dosed at 50ppm SO2 and lallyzime EX added for extraction.
I will be boosting the brix with Dextrose as well.

The question I have is since I am in So Cal and the temps will be in the high 70s today, eill I be ok letting the must heat up in its own overnight and pitching the yeast tomorrow? Or should i be worried about something else taking off and instead try to heat it up sooner and outch the Rockpile yeast starter tonight and let it warm up and see if the yeast will take off before any wild yesst will take off?

I will be dumping the must into a 30 gallon stainless wineeasy fernenter.

The must is cureently in 4 plastic buckets sealed with the lids.

I have been cold soaking some Cab Sauv grapes for the last three days. Temps have been in the mid to high 40s.

The grapes have been dosed at 50ppm SO2 and lallyzime EX added for extraction.
I will be boosting the brix with Dextrose as well.

The question I have is since I am in So Cal and the temps will be in the high 70s today, eill I be ok letting the must heat up in its own overnight and pitching the yeast tomorrow? Or should i be worried about something else taking off and instead try to heat it up sooner and outch the Rockpile yeast starter tonight and let it warm up and see if the yeast will take off before any wild yesst will take off?

I will be dumping the must into a 30 gallon stainless wineeasy fernenter.

The must is cureently in 4 plastic buckets sealed with the lids.
The high 70's would be a great temperature for fermenting Cab Sauv. What are your over night temperatures and what is the temperature of the area in which the wine will ferment? I suggest moving the wine to your 30 gallon fermenter and monitoring the temperature. I believe any temperature in the 70-75 range would be a good point to pitch the yeast and would serve you well.

I have pitched 5% of the yeast before warming up. The first time I did a cold soak, I did not add any yeast thinking I would wait till the right temperature range. However, I noticed some signs of fermentation while warming up. Since then, I have read it is best to add a little before cooling begins.

Back