Bottle sanatizing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningalive

Reaction score
I have just bottled 30 bottles of Cab Franc and everything went great. I used the vitinator to rinse the bottle with sanitizer then let them drip dry. Does that add k-meta to the wine in the bottle? If so is it a cause for concern as far as drinking it right away? Some of the bottle were not completely dry before we bottled (does that matter)? The wine is very good, even though it is young and needs some time to age. Thanks.

If the bottles were not completely dry it will add some sulfites to the wine but not enough to make much of a difference unless you were using a very, verypotent solution. If you are intending to age this, which is looks like you are, then I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Commercial wines are loaded with sulfites. They typically put in much more than the home winemaker. If their wines are drinkable, I don't see why yours shouldn't be.

If you mixed the solution as prescribed you have absolutely no reason to worry. Not even anywhere close to a reason to worry. As stated, we don't use anywhere close to the sulfite's a commercial winery does. I use Na-Meta which is even stronger than K-Meta. Never an issue here and I dump my bottle in a bucket of solution and then squirt them with the Vitinator.

Back