Bottling cane/hose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
sorry for this question guys but I am now looking into getting something to bottle some of my wine.

It wasn't fun for me and daughter yesterday seeing how wine was getting spilled using a regular small hose and passing hose quickly from gallon 1 to gallon 2.

Next year I may look into getting the all in one pump which seems that can be used for bottling.

Meantime, what do you guys recommend?

This is if you need a pump for transfering - not bottling.

Until you are getting the Allinone, I recommend making your own vacuum from a Harbor Freight 12 volt inflator - about 8 bucks. Here is how to make it work

After you take the pump out of the body, you will see a tiny hole on the pump which is an inlet for the air to go into the pump cylinder. I take a 1/4 inch double ended brass barb connector and use jb weld to place over that hole. I used a good bit of jb arond the barb, sealing it up good.

I also ground the barb end at a very slight angle to better fit over the hole and I secured the barb with an electrical tie while the jb dried.

Cut the air inflator hose. You may wish to do that in such a manner that you could put a barb in it so that you can use the pump as an air pump as opposed to a vacuum.

I use this cap and place it on the empty carboy.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/carboy-cap-3-5-and-6-gallon-carboys.html

I take a 1/4 in id/3/8 in od vinyl tube (hard white) and run from the barb on the pump to the small inlet into the cap (not too far down.).

I use a 3/8 in id/5/8 od clear tube from the full carboy or bucket with a racking cane, down into the large opening on the cap to just about the bottom of the empty carboy.

I recommend making a reservoir jar using barbs for use between the pump and cap. I have not done that and I have sucked wine into the pump.

I have tried unsuccessfully to make a bucket that I could pump into.

Let me know if you need any more info. I really like using this pump. You can degass with it also as well as degas while racking by putting a clamp on the transfer tube.

Last edited:
I use the cane with the button on the bottom that doesn't allow any wine to pass through unless you're pushing the button all the way to the bottom of the bottle. My wife and I just bottled 35 bottles and didn't spill a drop. It is called a plastic bottle filler and sells for $6.95.

As far as bottling, the spring loaded bottling wand is absolutely the way to go. You can avoid all drips if you are reasonably careful.

geek:

I use a regular size Auto-siphon (it makes getting the siphon started simple), some 5/16" id x 7/16" od hose, and the bottling wand that bottling wand that cohenhouse77 described.

But you mentioned gallons in your post. If gallon jugs were the source vessels, I would get a shorter mini Auto-siphon. If gallon jugs were the target vessels, I would get the large size Auto-Siphon and 7/16" id x 9/16" od hose. You would also need the large size bottling wand.

Steve

Fill with your bottles setting inside a sanitized tub. This way you can catch all the spilled wine and bottle it.

The bottling wand works OK. I used it for years. Trouble is you have to top up some bottles and take some out of others.

Nothing like the bottling attachment that comes with the allinonepump. We bottled again last night and honestly, filling all those bottles, I did not loose a teaspoon of wine. Each bottle is filled to the exact same level without ever having to adjust (when the bottle is full and the vacuum is broken, all excess wine is automatically sucked back out of the bottle, so the level always ends up at the same place). It makes the filling part of bottling a piece of cake.

Greg that comes up to the same bentonite. Just go to their site and look up a bottling wand. The database item copy problem apparently carried over here after the merger. We had problems with that for months. If you look up an item and copy the url, it goes to bentonite or some other weird thing every time. It links to the database , not the item.

Sorry guys, there is no quick fix to bring you to it! Wade and I were both the admins over at FVW and neither us or George could come up with a fix for it.

Yes Lon, that's why I removed it. Once you have the item cached on your computer, it shows up with the links, but nobodies elses. I was putting together that link and a few others to demonstrate this, but it just gets too confusing so I just deleted it. We all fussed over trying to fix it at FVW and all just gave up.

I use a Auto-siphon for jug to jug carboy to jug transfers and I use the "Super Automatic Bottle Filler" to fill bottles

WineBottler.gif

sorry for this question guys but I am now looking into getting something to bottle some of my wine.

It wasn't fun for me and daughter yesterday seeing how wine was getting spilled using a regular small hose and passing hose quickly from gallon 1 to gallon 2.

Next year I may look into getting the all in one pump which seems that can be used for bottling.

Meantime, what do you guys recommend?

I have the allinonepump and works great for bottling, I highly recommend it, no messes or spills....

Steve the earlier links are not working for me.

When you bring up a list of items stop, do not click on a specific item and go to it. Rather, right click on that item and select "copy shortcut". Now you have the correct address to paste into a post. Several websites work this way. It is kind of a pain when you don't know it.

Back