Cloudy wine before backsweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve tried to search this topic without coming up with a straight forward answer to what I should do. My problem is that my Apple wine is ready to bottle, it’s done fermenting according to the gravity reading, I was planning to back sweeten it. Thing is it’s a bit cloudy, my previous batches were much clearer, it’s been racked twice and is not sitting on sedement, and pectin enzyme was added in the start of the process. I read somewhere that cloudiness might affect the ability of the Campden and potassium sorbate to work properly, and the fermentation could restart if I backsweeten it. I’m not understand why it’s cloudy or if I should wait for it to clarify, re-rack it or add more pectin enzyme, or something else.

Hit the wine with a double-dose of pectic enzyme. It's less effective post-fermentation, so it needs a higher dose.

Excess pectin should not affect the stabilizing process. However, if the wine is not clear at bottling time, you should expect precipitation in the bottle, which is unsightly.

Hit it with more pectic enzyme, then wait a month. If it's not clearing, I'd use bentonite.

Hazy wine can be caused by pectin, starch, and protein. With apple pectin comes to mind first. But then apples also have starch, which they lose as they ripen.

I had two wines that absolutely refused to clear. I don't mean hazy - they were darn opaque after a year! Out of curiosity I tried CJJ Berry's banana water: ripen 1 lb of bananas till the skin is black, peel, boil in a pint of water for a bit, let cool, strain the liquid, add 100 ml / gallon. It's not fast, takes about a week, but the darn thing works! It was a fun experiment.

Hazy wine can be caused by pectin, starch, and protein. With apple pectin comes to mind first. But then apples also have starch, which they lose as they ripen.

I had two wines that absolutely refused to clear. I don't mean hazy - they were darn opaque after a year! Out of curiosity I tried CJJ Berry's banana water: ripen 1 lb of bananas till the skin is black, peel, boil in a pint of water for a bit, let cool, strain the liquid, add 100 ml / gallon. It's not fast, takes about a week, but the darn thing works! It was a fun experiment.
That’s interesting I’ve never heard of using bananas like that. Thanks for the reply

If you do not it with more pectic enzyme, which is what I would do, double or triple the dosage. Pectic enzyme is reported not to work nearly as well in the presence of alcohol. And you may need to do this, wait a month or so, do it again.
Thanks I will try adding more pectic enzyme

Hit the wine with a double-dose of pectic enzyme. It's less effective post-fermentation, so it needs a higher dose.

Excess pectin should not affect the stabilizing process. However, if the wine is not clear at bottling time, you should expect precipitation in the bottle, which is unsightly.

Hit it with more pectic enzyme, then wait a month. If it's not clearing, I'd use bentonite.
Thanks I will give it a double dose of pectic enzyme and see what happens.

Hi, I’ve tried to search this topic without coming up with a straight forward answer to what I should do. My problem is that my Apple wine is ready to bottle, it’s done fermenting according to the gravity reading, I was planning to back sweeten it. Thing is it’s a bit cloudy, my previous batches were much clearer, it’s been racked twice and is not sitting on sedement, and pectin enzyme was added in the start of the process. I read somewhere that cloudiness might affect the ability of the Campden and potassium sorbate to work properly, and the fermentation could restart if I backsweeten it. I’m not understand why it’s cloudy or if I should wait for it to clarify, re-rack it or add more pectin enzyme, or something else.
filter it 1) medium filter 2) fine filter. Use both filters. Make sure to pump acid blend in water though your filters so you don't get a filter taste in your wines.

How long ago did you start this batch? I usually age hard cider or apple wine for at least 3-4 months before I expect it to be clear and ready to bottle. If it has been less time than that, I suggest that Patience is the most important ingredient to use.

It's not ready to bottle until it is clear. Then it is the time to stabilize and back sweeten.

* a test for pectin; one volume of cider with two or three times toe volume of denatured alcohol. Pectin will form a clot / low pectin forms strings.
* cider sickness; is the pH over 3.8? did you have an incomplete fermentation? (This is a wild lactic bacteria fermentation. ). Solution is to fine it to remove haze.
* I will guess that you don’t have tannic apples so this is mainly for reference. (Bitter sharps). Did you have a temp drop? Tannins can create a haze. Proteins (gelatin) pulls tannins out.

Apple is fun. This apple has had extra pectase, , then it has had extra acid to drop the pH from 3.6 to 3.3
IMG_4971.jpeg

Latest posts

Back