Cork removal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway22

Reaction score
Okay, my brother saved some empty bottles for me from Christmas Eve, one problem. Two of the bottles have the cork inside (cork screw mishap). Now that I try to start cleaning them out I must remove the cork. I read all over this site to not soak the corks for too long before you bottle cause they may break up. Excellent!! But I have been soaking those darn things for a week, and nothing. Any thoughts on how to get these corks out. I still would have to clean and sanitize the bottles, so whatever means you come up with I'll try.

There are a couple ways. One involves using a small plastic bag. You roll the bag up and put it in the bottle leaving the open end out of the bottle. Tip the bottle so the cork comes near the neck and then blow the bag up very little like a baloon. This traps the cork and you pull it out. I can't find the link right now.
The second involves a string. Joan found this site. I tried it and it does work.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Open-a-bottle-of-wine-with-a-piece-of-string./

Thanks appleman, I was able to get them out with the plastic baggie. Although I'm positive I didn't do it the way you explained it to me. Hey, whatever works.

Latest posts

Back