Degassing fears

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also tried to implode a carboy under safe conditions , It was a steady 29 in hg and shaking violently !! for approx 45 minutes straight, no cracks or implosions (as myth busters would say- DONT TRY THIS AT HOME -

Got email back It was .98 bar
I think that's about 29 hg post edited

Still didnt crack or implode

The best way I have found to degass is using an electric vacuum pump and splash racking into a vacuum .
The splashing action gets slot of bubbles out , this can be done as low as 10 inches hg and you rack it once and it is effectively degassed , takes 10 minutes

I also tried to implode a carboy under safe conditions , It was a steady 29 in hg and shaking violently !! for approx 45 minutes straight, no cracks or implosions (as myth busters would say- DONT TRY THIS AT HOME -
Safe conditions = Drunk. Everyone know you can,t hurt a drunk

I know that there was alot of concern about carboy imploding or exploding - so I took a 15 gallon metal container and put the 6 gallon glass carboy inside to see what would happen. I am planning on making a video and actually tapping on it at the same time to make sure that it actually breaks - My personal opinion it is only going to leak vacuum and leak liquid and not explode glass everywhere. It trully is an inplosion rather than a explosion

I know that there was alot of concern about carboy imploding or exploding - so I took a 15 gallon metal container and put the 6 gallon glass carboy inside to see what would happen. I am planning on making a video and actually tapping on it at the same time to make sure that it actually breaks - My personal opinion it is only going to leak vacuum and leak liquid and not explode glass everywhere. It trully is an inplosion rather than a explosion

I think we would all be entirely too happy to watch a vid of you imploding a carboy lol

I think we would all be entirely too happy to watch a vid of you imploding a carboy lol

isn't there a curse with "purposely" destroying a carboy???....lol...that's a shame....a waste of good glass, kinda like spilling a glass of wine or a good drink is considered "alcohol abuse"....if there isn't a curse associated with it like breaking a mirror, shouldn't there be???....lol...:)

Latest posts

Back