Didn’t have enough Campden tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all!

We crushed yesterday only to find that we didn’t have enough Campden tablets for the volume we crushed and the local shop was closed by the time we realized. We did have 10 tablets, so I added that to the must.

For reference, we are growing Lemberger grapes, the pH was 3.0, and the brix was 24. We sterilized everything from the buckets to the destemmer/crusher before picking, so the only things present would be on the contaminants/yeast on the grapes.

My questions: Should I add more meta when I get it on Tuesday (picked/crushed Saturday)? If so, how much after waiting 3 days between additions? Should I just pitch the yeast tonight (Sunday) and hope for the best? Add meta again after primary?

Any help would be much appreciated! Normally we are better prepared, but our hot summer and lax testing made yesterday’s harvest a surprise, so we spaced a pretty important step.

Thanks!

I don't use campden tablets so I have no idea how many you are supposed to use.
Campden usage is 1 tablet per 1 US gallon, providing 50 to 60 ppm.

For folks making 1 or 2 gallon batches, they work great. I typically have various extras from my main batch, so I dissolve 1/4 tsp K-meta in 5 or 6 Tbsp water, and use 1 Tbsp per jug 1 US gallon / 4 liter jug.

That’s great advice. We just bought a one-pound bag for the price of 20 tablets. Crazy I didn’t think of that before. Thanks for the advice!
The advantage of WMT over every other source of winemaking information, is that you're talking directly to folks who have been making wine as long as 60 years. There is an amazing amount of practical experience here, and we freely share tips and tricks. If you're on the forum consistently, you'll learn something new every week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back