Different OxyClean formulations?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One last question on OxyClean. There are a couple of different "flavors" of the product and the one I have is called "Versatile" and says "Stain Remover, Chlorine Free." Is that what you all are using? The reason I ask is that I had something happen once when using the product that has caused me concern. I had several bottles in a plastic sink filled with hot water and OxyClean and after a few hours, I found a residual coating on the bottles that would come off with scrubbing, but I was reluctant to use the bottles because I did not know what was happening inside the bottles. I was wondering if I am using the "wrong" OxyClean. Thanks.

I use a generic version from the grocery store and have not had any problems with any residue and I have let them soak for up to four hours. Just make sure you get one without chlorine as some formulations have a chlorine based cleaner as well as the peroxide cleaner.

I have always heard that Oxyclean, any version, will leave a residue if the bottles are left in it for very long. True or not???

As already mentioned, never use the version containing chlorine on wine making equipment or supplies.

The only one I believe is totally free of fregrance and additives is Oxyclean Versitile Stain Remover Free. Regular OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover does not contain chlorine bleach. OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover Free does not contain chlorine bleach either, but is also free of dyes and fragrances. Here's a link: http://www.oxiclean.com/FAQ.aspx

Tony P.

I have always heard that Oxyclean, any version, will leave a residue if the bottles are left in it for very long. True or not???

As already mentioned, never use the version containing chlorine on wine making equipment or supplies.
I tried Oxyclean in my brew on premise it removed brewing soils very efficiently. It also left a build up of hard to scrape off material on my sink so much so that i quit using it just more work than necessary to keep my sink clean and presentable. Once the deposit started to from it grew every day and it came back quicker the next time after cleaning it off.

Latest posts

Back