Done!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
I bottled my "first born" yesterday. Vintners Reserve Merlot.

I'm sitting here with Styx dvd playing onmy secondarymonitor (Dennis DeYoung is singing Show Me The Way), drinking a glass of Merlot that I made myself, typing this onmy primary monitor.

Life just doesn't get any better than this.

It's clear that it's a young wine and I suspect 2-3 months in the bottle will do it a lot of good. But it's as good as many $8-10 bottles I've purchased.

I also made a couple newbie mistakes-I filled a couple bottles too full. Also wasn't paying attention and lost about 1/2 bottle on the floor as I was starting the auto siphon. Overall things went very well. I was surprise at how easy it was to cork the bottles with my Portuguese floor corker.

I raise my glass and salute everyone here, and especially George who made this possible. Many thanks to all here.

Next is the Sangiovese which should be ready in a couple weeks. I also have a primary that is empty and 3 kits on the shelf...which should be next?

smiley32.gif
Congrats on your first bottled wine............

For future reference however............

overfilling bottles is not a newbie mistake
smiley36.gif

Waldo said:
Congrats Mike.So which kit is coming next

I'm leaning toward the VR Riesling-it will be my first white wine. I still have to check the directions and check the timeline. I travel a lot and wouldn't want to be out of town when I need to transfer it or degas it.

Congratulations!
smiley32.gif
As far as spilling some wine, as long as no one notifies the Board of Alcohol Abuse then everything should be fine.
smiley2.gif

Mike,
Congratulation on the New Borns!
smiley20.gif

Now that hard part...... waiting for them to age. But i can can you that you'll be rewarded for waiting. At 5 week my Merlottasted much, much better than when I bottled.

I'd do the white wine next.

Mike, congrats!
smiley32.gif

Some great white kitsout thereand they are fun too -- check out the old posts for the battonage process ("buttery") if you're looking to start exploring!

Way to go Mike!! You made me laugh at myself when I read the part about you spilling some on the floor. I racked my Cranberry yesterday and knocked half a small bottle all over the table top.
smiley36.gif
Well, so much for being careful.

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm amazed at how civil this board is-many other boards would have chastised me for spilling the wine and overfilling the bottles. Instead I'm encouraged to continue on. It's a great bunch of people here!

I'll return to listening Huey Lewis singing "It's Alright" while I raise my glass of store-bought Cabernet Sauvignon and ponder the next wine I'll start.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back