Elderberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/blog/what-to-know-about-elderberries

When uncooked, elderberries contain a toxic substance that can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, so any preparation of elderberries you use should be cooked. In that article about half way down

https://greg.app/common-elderberry-toxic-to-humans/

I will say it is possible that the winemaking process itself may reduce the toxins but imo its safer to cook em and it works out better for MY process because i only use juice in the fermenter no pulp

I will say it is possible that the winemaking process itself may reduce the toxins but imo its safer to cook em and it works out better for MY process because i only use juice in the fermenter no pulp
The hydrogen cyanide in elderberries evaporates, which is why cooking makes the berries safe. I've read numerous articles that stated that fermentation also renders the berries safe.

I haven't made Elderberry wine from fresh fruit in decades, but when I did, no one suffered any ill effects. Folks like @hounddawg who have been making Elderberry wine for decades reinforce the belief.

That said, thanks for posting. In recent years we've had folks interested in making wine from potentially poisonous things, and it's best to ensure that we post accurate information. The things we post today may be available on the net for decades.

The hydrogen cyanide in elderberries evaporates, which is why cooking makes the berries safe. I've read numerous articles that stated that fermentation also renders the berries safe.

I haven't made Elderberry wine from fresh fruit in decades, but when I did, no one suffered any ill effects. Folks like @hounddawg who have been making Elderberry wine for decades reinforce the belief.

That said, thanks for posting. In recent years we've had folks interested in making wine from potentially poisonous things, and it's best to ensure that we post accurate information. The things we post today may be available on the net for decades.
dead on,,, until joining here, in Arkansaw red elderberries are deadly, after joining on here , i find that there are red elderberry that's good for wine, big ole world,
take nothing for granted.
Dawg

dead on,,, until joining here, in Arkansaw red elderberries are deadly, after joining on here , i find that there are red elderberry that's good for wine, big ole world,
take nothing for granted.
Yup. I read a lot of stuff, and while I'll look at Wikipedia as a starting point (sometimes it IS accurate), I look for things like medical sites to get the real answer to possible dangers.

I've posted about bottle pressure numerous times -- for that I went to glass bottle vendor sites. It makes sense to look at the folks that work with a material to get real facts. And then it doesn't hurt to double or triple check.

Lots of web sites insist that elderberries must be heated before eating, but there is not much scientific support for that idea. The best scientific paper on the subject of Cyanogenic Glycosides in elderberries that I have found is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7961730/

A key paragraph (emphasis mine):
A review of the medical literature revealed no reports of elderberry juice poisoning in the past 30 years. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [35] did issue a bulletin about a poisoning incident on 26 August 1983 involving a group in California attributed to consumption of juice prepared from fresh wild elderberries along with leaves and stems (most likely blue elderberry, Sambucus cerulea) [35]. Cyanide was initially implicated in the incident, but was subsequently disproven. There remains uncertainty as to the presence of CNGs in elderberry juice and its products. Recent studies of European elderberry by Senica et al. [25,36] reported average levels of sambunigrin in fresh and processed berry products ranging between 0.8 and 18.8 µg/g [25] and higher amounts in elder leaves (27.68 and 209.61 µg/g FW) [36]. Koss-Mikolajczyk et al. [37] in similar work however recorded no quantifiable amounts of CNGs. To date, no exhaustive work has been completed on AE to conclusively ascertain the presence, forms, and levels of CNGs in ripe and unripe berries.

The only record that I can find of people hospitalized for consuming raw elderberries was the 1983 incident in California mentioned above. They people involved consumed large amounts of juice made from elderberries, along with leaves and stems. The concentration of Cyanogenic Glycosides is much higher in the stems and leaves, so it is important to only use the berries. I also found one source that suggested that the concentration of these compounds are higher in the seeds.

It is also important to consider the concentration of toxic substances in the wine. It is possible that consuming a gallon or two of elderberry wine at one time would provide an unsafe level of Cyanogenic Glycosides. Of course if you consume that much wine, you have much bigger problems.

I am not a scientist or a medical expert, but for myself I don't see a need to heat elderberries when making wine. You can decide for yourself what you want to do. Of course, as @hounddawg mentioned, red elderberries (a different variety) are poisonous, so you should definitely avoid those.

Lots of web sites insist that elderberries must be heated before eating, but there is not much scientific support for that idea. The best scientific paper on the subject of Cyanogenic Glycosides in elderberries that I have found is here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7961730/

A key paragraph (emphasis mine):

The only record that I can find of people hospitalized for consuming raw elderberries was the 1983 incident in California mentioned above. They people involved consumed large amounts of juice made from elderberries, along with leaves and stems. The concentration of Cyanogenic Glycosides is much higher in the stems and leaves, so it is important to only use the berries. I also found one source that suggested that the concentration of these compounds are higher in the seeds.

It is also important to consider the concentration of toxic substances in the wine. It is possible that consuming a gallon or two of elderberry wine at one time would provide an unsafe level of Cyanogenic Glycosides. Of course if you consume that much wine, you have much bigger problems.

I am not a scientist or a medical expert, but for myself I don't see a need to heat elderberries when making wine. You can decide for yourself what you want to do. Of course, as @hounddawg mentioned, red elderberries (a different variety) are poisonous, so you should definitely avoid those.
I have tried raw elderberries, they draw up your lips and you can tell one little elderberry is mildly toxic, as well as the bark of the wild black elderberry, , i do know some still living old timers that make a syrup as well as juice and jam, how i don't know, but I do know that by fermenting the only harm is, you might walk off a cliff and break your neck, lol,, never knew the science of it, just learned from old timers dead better then 40 years, (from old age) that aged 6/7 years not bad drinking, 8/9 years good drinking, 10 years and plus absolutely killer good, as i said back a few years ago, i wanted to marry the old hills way, with modern chemicals that could sanitize, reading a SG so to knowingly make the same year in year out, I try to keep on a simple trail, shoot people made wines thousands of years ago, it was hit or miss, till you got old enough to keep your average up. but with a little technology, it made it easy to hit year after year, knock on wood i have had one 6 gallon batch of apple go south on me, way above the old timers average, shucks now if i look into a mirror a old timer is looking back at me. bummer,,,
there are those on here that's been making elderberry wine longer then i've been alive, but not by much, lol... as i have said I've drank elderberry wine better than 50 years now, now that ain't saying much since it is believed that i ate leaded paint chips as a youngster, hehe,,, If something is wrong with me it ain't from drinking non-heated elderberry wine, there are those on here that can explain the science , like maybe @Rice_Guy , he's got book smarts, as do many others on here, this is a world class forum, CREAM OF THE CROP that tolerates the likes of me, Thankfully.
Dawg

When uncooked, elderberries contain a toxic substance that can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, so any preparation of elderberries you use should be cooked. In that article about half way down

no skins, man, your losing much character, IMHO
Dawg

we do an Elderberry wine, but since we are making 55 gallon batches at one time, we source the 100% elderberry single strength juice. Careful when backsweetening as the wine will give off a vitamin flavor. After fermentation, the wine will obviously be kinda tart, so our trick for this is to add one high % cocoa chocolate bar per 6 gallons to smooth out the astrigency. I shoot for 4 to 6 months of infusion. This smooths the wine out and adds a finish like the inside of a Tootsie pop. Balancing the wine with a desired sweetness is up to the winemaker. This wine is in high demand for us. It sells very well. This is one of our fall wines and we bring it out in September to March.

we do an Elderberry wine, but since we are making 55 gallon batches at one time, we source the 100% elderberry single strength juice. Careful when backsweetening as the wine will give off a vitamin flavor. After fermentation, the wine will obviously be kinda tart, so our trick for this is to add one high % cocoa chocolate bar per 6 gallons to smooth out the astrigency. I shoot for 4 to 6 months of infusion. This smooths the wine out and adds a finish like the inside of a Tootsie pop. Balancing the wine with a desired sweetness is up to the winemaker. This wine is in high demand for us. It sells very well. This is one of our fall wines and we bring it out in September to March.

if you are making elderberry from the berries, reach out to ffemt. He won a gold medal for his elderberry. To say the least , it was amazing....

I've been making Elderberry, sweet and dry, since 1960. Fermented on the pulp 5 days max, and I'm still here.
Maybe it's the tannins in Elderberry that are preserving me.
Most people who don't like it have tried it when it's young. Time works wonders! ☺️

Back