Finally! 2024 Winemaking Season Begins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My winemaking is finally beginning this weekend. I'm working with four vineyards this year for fresh grapes. It's all but certain that grapes from more than one vineyard will be ripe enough to pick on the same day. That's exactly what is happening this year right from the gate. To add to the madness, I'm going to be at Washington-Grizzly Stadium on Saturday, September 21st as the Montana Grizzlies host Western Carolina from Cullowhee, NC for a football game. The only way I can swing it is pulling a trailer to Montana carrying three macro bins and grabbing the grapes on Sunday on my way home.

Grapes this trip, all from Red Mountain AVA but two vineyards:

55g drum of fresh chardonnay (grapes will be picked and pressed on Saturday, then placed in refrigeration)
1/2 ton of Tempranillo (grapes will be picked Sunday)
1/2 ton of Viognier (grapes will be picked Sunday)
1/2 ton Marsanne/Rousanne blend (grapes will be picked Sunday)

I'll post pictures and document the fermentation on all these wines.

I am also making Tempranillo and Viognier this year, both from the same vineyard in southern Oregon picked this past weekend. Also making Pinot and Riesling from a different vineyard in the southern Willamette valley later in the season. Both are coming along nicely so far - the Viognier is fermenting at around 62F ambient, I wish I could get it a bit cooler but it would be too much of a hassle.

My winemaking is finally beginning this weekend. I'm working with four vineyards this year for fresh grapes. It's all but certain that grapes from more than one vineyard will be ripe enough to pick on the same day. That's exactly what is happening this year right from the gate. To add to the madness, I'm going to be at Washington-Grizzly Stadium on Saturday, September 21st as the Montana Grizzlies host Western Carolina from Cullowhee, NC for a football game. The only way I can swing it is pulling a trailer to Montana carrying three macro bins and grabbing the grapes on Sunday on my way home.

Grapes this trip, all from Red Mountain AVA but two vineyards:

55g drum of fresh chardonnay (grapes will be picked and pressed on Saturday, then placed in refrigeration)
1/2 ton of Tempranillo (grapes will be picked Sunday)
1/2 ton of Viognier (grapes will be picked Sunday)
1/2 ton Marsanne/Rousanne blend (grapes will be picked Sunday)

I'll post pictures and document the fermentation on all these wines.
Go Western Carolina! Established in 1888, it is one of the oldest universities in North Carolina. Serving the western North Carolina region, it also serves the Cherokee nation native people of the Applician mountains. In 2012, it was ranked the 14th best university in the south (which is pretty good considering Duke, Vanderbilt, Davidson, etc). In 1980, Ronnie Carr scored the first collegiate 3 point basketball goal in a game for Western Carolina. That ball is in the collegiate basketball hall of fame.

Go Western Carolina! Established in 1888, it is one of the oldest universities in North Carolina. Serving the western North Carolina region, it also serves the Cherokee nation native people of the Applician mountains. In 2012, it was ranked the 14th best university in the south (which is pretty good considering Duke, Vanderbilt, Davidson, etc). In 1980, Ronnie Carr scored the first collegiate 3 point basketball goal in a game for Western Carolina. That ball is in the collegiate basketball hall of fame.
OV... Should be a good game. I hope you can watch it on ESPN+...

Latest posts

Back