First Batch of Pineapple……Thoughts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Junior
Reaction score
Wasn’t sure if this was the right place to post, or if should be under recipes, but here we go.

Going to start a batch of pineapple, which I have not done before. I keep reading to post the recipe for comment prior to kicking it off.

Based on Jack Keller Recipe:

(2) 16oz cans crushed pineapple with juice
Will add water to 1 gallon total volume
Will add white sugar to ~1.085 SG
1 tsp Acid Blend
1 Campden Tablet
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Red Star Premier Rouge Yeast
500g golden raisins

The original recipe called for (1) 11.5oz can of frozen Welch’s White Grape juice, but none of the stores in my area carry that, or any other brand. The white grape juice in a jug that I can get has preservatives that I’ve been told to stay away from. The raisins are replacing the grape juice.

Will use a pulp sack for the fruit, and will ferment in 2 gallon food grade bucket with airlock.

Should I skip the tannins since I’m adding raisins? Should i check the pH/TA and add acid blend based on those numbers instead of just following the recipe amount?

Any other suggestions?

I haven't made pineapple wine, but this one seems light on pineapple, which is typical of Keller recipes. I can't recommend an amount -- hopefully someone else can.

Tannin will give the wine more structure.

The raisins are a significant change and pineapple is acidic, so I'd assemble everything except those two and let the must macerate overnight. Then add sugar to 1.085, and check pH.

Oh, if you start with a volume of 1 US gallon, you'll lose a lot of volume to the pineapple and raisins. I'd add a gallon of water to the remaining ingredients.

Oh, if you start with a volume of 1 US gallon, you'll lose a lot of volume to the pineapple and raisins. I'd add a gallon of water to the remaining ingredients.
Yes thank you, what I meant was that I’d add water to achieve 1 gallon total volume of liquid, or even a little more. I can use 4 liter or 1 gallon jugs for secondary so I can accommodate a little extra.

@winemaker81 is correct, Keller is light on his fruits, you can't have to much flavor, but you sure can have not enough, I usually quadruple that amount or at least triple it, and you'll lose plenty to gross lees, I ain't made any pineapple in a few years, as well pineapple is great for hiding a high ABV,
Dawg

@winemaker81 is correct, Keller is light on his fruits, you can't have to much flavor, but you sure can have not enough, I usually quadruple that amount or at least triple it, and you'll lose plenty to gross lees, I ain't made any pineapple in a few years, as well pineapple is great for hiding a high ABV,
Dawg
Thank you. I have to admit most of the info I’ve seen so far recommends somewhere between 4-6 pounds of fruit per gallon of wine.

Sounds like I need a few more cans of fruit, or add some actual pineapple juice to get to my target volume. Especially since he may have been using the grape juice to help carry some of the flavor and body.

I haven't made pineapple wine but I've added it to a few. In small quantities it tastes strawberry-like. In fact, I added it to a strawberry wine and I swear it boosted the strawberry flavor.

I'm glad you posted! I agree with the others, you would have been disappointed with 2 cans, no doubt in my mind. Four cans at least. But why be cautious? Six cans! Another possibility is a quart (at least!) of pineapple juice. Watch the acid - personally I would go for as much fruit/juice as possible and less water.

Richard and Dave are more active fruit winemakers than I am, and their advice is solid.

Thinking things farther, I'd probably go with 3 quarts pineapple juice and 2 quarts water, plus the canned fruit. The raisins may absorb some volume.

You'll need a 1 US gallon / 4 liter jug as your secondary container, plus smaller bottles. I have a large collection of bottles ranging from 125 ml and up for excess wine. #3 drilled stoppers fit most bottles with a wine bottled sized mouth.

I have more airlocks than most people have teeth .... they come in handy!

Last edited:
Ok here is where I ended up…..

Used 7 cans of crushed pineapple / chunks total to get 4lbs 6oz of fruit after the juice was drained. The cans also had a total of 72 oz of juice. I added a 46oz can of pineapple juice and the SG was 1.044.

All the other amounts stayed the same except the raisins, I reduced it to 250g because it looked like a lot.

Added 16oz water, then made a syrup with 1lb 12oz sugar and 16oz water and added to must, the SG went to 1.090 so I called it good. Added all my other items and the pH stayed at 4. Will recheck the pH and check TA tomorrow when I add the yeast.

Added all my other items and the pH stayed at 4. Will recheck the pH and check TA tomorrow when I add the yeast.
That all sounds fine.

In the morning, give the must a stir and check the SG again. Then check pH -- if it's above 3.8, I'd add acid to reduce it.

To add to the good advice here, I used frozen pineapple concentrate. I also did use white grape juice instead of water, and used white grape juice when I backsweetened. It turned out incredible, absolutely incredible. I would suggest trying the grape juice with preservatives, just let it sit out for 24 hours and whip it with a kitchen whisk several times over that time to try to aerate the preservatives out of it. Real Lemon has preservatives in it, and this technique works for me when I make Skeeter - it always takes off quickly for me. Both white and concord frozen concentrate are impossible to find Anywhere in my area, so I feel your frustration there!

I would suggest trying the grape juice with preservatives, just let it sit out for 24 hours and whip it with a kitchen whisk several times over that time to try to aerate the preservatives out of it.
Interesting! I had not heard of that method, only to stay away from “ites and ates”. I will try a gallon batch of grape juice concentrate like this and see how it does. Just because I’m very happy trying new things!

Ok…… using pH paper so it’s not exact, but pH was still close to 4 so added another 1/2 tsp acid blend. Showing about 3.8 on pH now. The TA concerns me, it’s about 0.9 TA. I believe this will reduce a little after fermentation, but I may be wrong. This is the first time I’ve played with pH or TA.

Ok…… using pH paper so it’s not exact, but pH was still close to 4 so added another 1/2 tsp acid blend. Showing about 3.8 on pH now. The TA concerns me, it’s about 0.9 TA. I believe this will reduce a little after fermentation, but I may be wrong. This is the first time I’ve played with pH or TA.

I think you’re close enough to get the yeast in there now. Taste you can fiddle with after it’s fermented dry.

Latest posts

Back