Grape Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I guess I should know this, but, is 100% grape juice what I use? All of em I've seen say 100% grape juice made from concentrate. Do I use the 100% from concentrate or is there a 100% "Squoze" grape juice?

Thanks

Semper Fi

Hmm. Not sure about Grape Juice. But I know the Apple I use is not concentrate - it is 100% pressed apple juice.

All i have ever seen is 100% grape concentrate.

Bud, you may not be talking about Concord, but I have 5 gallons of a Concord going that I made from Welch's 100% grape juice (bought at Sam's Club). I fermented it to dry then back sweetened it slightly and added some toasted oak. That was very good but not being one to leave well enough alone, I added an f-pack made from mixed berries (red raspberries, blueberries and balckberries). It has a very nice, if different, taste and will be very nice for casual drinking, i.e. not with a particular meal.

Unless you are buying this juice from a wine supply store or fruit company chances are grape juice will be concentrated. Oh, add winery to that list also as some sell pressed juices.

But, Is this 100% grape juice from concentrate as good as 100% grape juice that is not concentrate. I think not, but, is there a great deal of difference in the two wines? Also, is the concentrate what most folks use?

Semper Fi

But, Is this 100% grape juice from concentrate as good as 100% grape juice that is not concentrate. I think not, but, is there a great deal of difference in the two wines? Also, is the concentrate what most folks use?

Semper Fi

i've made 5 or 6 batches of wine with the welch's 100% from concentrate like everyone else says it tastes fine, i guess i've never seen 100% grape juice that wasn't from concentrate. what brand are you looking at?

Semper Fi

I prefer concentrates because they are really easy for making f-packs and you can control the amount of sugar / water you want to add. There's no shame in Welch's wine. Two of my Welch's wines are award winners ;)

To try to answer your question.....I would say yes it is as good as 100 % juice. The ones that are not 100% juice have sugar added to sweeten with only 10% or so of juice.

100% from concentrate = They might concentrate the juice....and then just add water to get it back to proper sweetness levels. What you don't want is added sugar. so you should be fine.

does that sound right?

I prefer concentrates because they are really easy for making f-packs and you can control the amount of sugar / water you want to add. There's no shame in Welch's wine. Two of my Welch's wines are award winners ;)

I believe this is what he wanted to see! :try

And that's good enough for me, too. I do have enough blueberries in the freezer for a 6 gal batch, but I've been waiting for a little more experience to develop from making it out of the store bought juices. I got a rough case of poison ivy from picking those blueberries, so I want the wine results to be worth the suffering.

100% from concentrate = They might concentrate the juice....and then just add water to get it back to proper sweetness levels. What you don't want is added sugar. so you should be fine.

does that sound right?

This is so very true, which is where I made my biggest mistakes on my first few batches. I went by the recipe, and when I added the sugar, I added what the recipe called for rather than checking the SG BEFORE adding the sugar. Made it much too sweet. Starting SG on those were around 1.145. It didn't kill off the yeast but it made it too sweet to drink without first making a very dry to blend with it. Even then, I only got the final down to about 1.025, which I suppose is the desert wine that goes best with a Milky Way or a Snickers bar. :)

Back