Hello from Indiana

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let folks know what you're making (I know 'cuz I replied to your other post) and what you'd like to make.

You'll find all types of winemakers here, from folks that make a few gallons a year to folks that make 120+ gallons in 1 batch. And there's nothing oddball enough that someone hasn't already tried to make wine from it.

Thanks for the welcome, I made a super basic setup small batch(less than a gallon) of cherry and blueberry from juice that both turned out drinkable lol. I'm trying my 1st batch from fruit with some blackberries I picked out of my backyard, currently. I love the variety of options and possible mixes and am excited to try some different recipes.

Post your recipes before starting, and you'll get useful feedback. Maybe TOO much feedback ... but it's easier to point you in a good direction than it is to fix problems.

Please note that if you ask a question of 10 winemakers, you'll get at least 11 opinions. ;) Two suggestions that are contrary to each other may be both valid, especially as many answers are situation dependent. Why someone is doing something is often more important what or how.

I'm trying my 1st batch from fruit with some blackberries I picked out of my backyard, currently.

Making wine already from this years crop? Most people freeze all the fruit they pick/forage. Most fruits don’t ripen all at once. Maybe more importantly, freezing releases a lot of juice when thawed. Freezing ruptures the cell walls releasing the juice.

Like Chuck said, process can be very important, if not for the taste but to reduce labor.

Making wine already from this years crop? Most people freeze all the fruit they pick/forage. Most fruits don’t ripen all at once. Maybe more importantly, freezing releases a lot of juice when thawed. Freezing ruptures the cell walls releasing the juice.

Like Chuck said, process can be very important, if not for the taste but to reduce labor.
I had been picking them over the last week and a half or so as they ripen, giving them a good rinse, and freezing them until I had enough. I had a gallon freezer bag full frozen.

I had been picking them over the last week and a half or so as they ripen, giving them a good rinse, and freezing them until I had enough. I had a gallon freezer bag full frozen.
If Indiana is anything like Ohio, since you already have enough for a gallon, by the end of the year you might have enough for 10 gallons.

Post your “recipes” here first for suggestions. I put recipes in “ “ because it’s more a process … the ingredients vary.
Welcome Dylan! I also do small batch / freezer collecting with fruits. BlackBerry was one of my early small batch wines. So good!!
Who follows a recipe?! 🙄😉🤣😂
Haha.. I TRY. Yes, the process is the thing- and finding the proper chemistry for the results you hope to achieve. Mine are based on past experience, intuition and trial and error.
Many here are very technical.
Some of us are more experimental. 😬
I don’t have access to grapes , so I do “country wines”.
Currently I’m fermenting Montmorency Sour Cherry wine ( my 4th batch of this since 2019) and Beetroot/ Rhubarb wine (my own combination/ recipe. :)

Latest posts

Back