Hello from Kentucky

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am starting a trellis from cuttings from a vine that was given to my mother back in the 1960’s. I have no idea what strain it is. The old fellow that gave her the vine called them “Pink sugar grapes “ and “Pink Lucy grapes. The grapes are pink and super sweet. They made excellent jelly and 1 batch of wine that I made from them several years back. It has survived all the weather and disease our zone 7a has thrown at it in over 60 years with very little care so I have high hopes of success. Now that I have retired and have time and energy to care for them. I’m guessing the grape is an American native of some kind. Is there any way to find out the exact lineage of a vine?
May I suggest looking at Norton and Chabourcin for reds and Traminette for white. KY is a tough spot for growing teh classical vinifera grapes.

I am starting a trellis from cuttings from a
May I suggest looking at Norton and Chabourcin for reds and Traminette for white. KY is a tough spot for growing teh classical vinifera grapes.

Welcome. Are you a winemaker now? If not i would start honing my craft with kits, country wines and juice buckets. Then you’ll be ready when your grapes are.
I have a 6 gallon fermentation equipment and have made some really tasty wines in the past. Grape, blackberry and watermelon. I dropped out after ruining a batch of watermelon wine due to having to travel to a death in the family during the time it needed to be racked the first time. The lees spoiled and left the whole batch with that too long on the lees taste. No matter how many times I cleared, filtered, racked that taste would not leave. For 24 years I worked away from home, only home on weekends. That makes it tough for winemaking and gardening.
I’m going to try to repeat the watermelon wine this year if I have enough melons.

Welcome to WMT!
I'm very interested in your pink grapes. I am a bit north of you in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia (6b).
When I retired a some years ago, I took to growing wine grapes. A friend advised me to plant something that might attract birds away from my vines. I planted a Concord hybrid, slip skin, seedless.
What does this have to do with pink grapes?
A few years back, it suddenly started producing small, sweet little pink grapes, that if they survive the last frost, can make a delightful Rose.
Do your grapes look like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20240708_192510050.jpg
    IMG_20240708_192510050.jpg
    1.3 MB

Latest posts

Back