HIGH PUNTS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
We get a really nice selection of recycledwine bottles from friends...[Thanks Pelican] Many of those bottles are very high quality..very heavy bottles with a very large/high punt....I love the look and feel of those bottles, many are dark brown...BUT...They are a 'bear' to fill....

Because of the high punt the little gravity bottling wand doesn't fit real good around the bottom of the bottle....Sometimes I have to hold the wand on the top of the punt to release the wine.....Yesterday...I switched over to the spring loaded bottling wand...It worked better, but only fills a bottle when you are holding it down and it's spring is depressed....which takes more time.

Are any bottling wands better than others??? I need one with a more pointy tip.

That makes me crazy too, NW! I can't tell you the number of times I thought the bottle was filling when it wasn't! I usually overflow those! I so hate to waste a drop of hard work! It's one of the reasons I bought a gravity filler.

I'm sold too, Jobe!
smiley1.gif

NW.
I have many bottles with the hight altitude punt. Since I'm not bottling large volumes of wine at a time and sit on the floor doing so....I rather enjoy having a mountain peak to overcome. A little dexterity, unless you are tasting along with bottling, is good practice. But, some of those bottles do have high, punts. I'll agree......!!! RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

I solved this problem with the Enolmatic filler! Joan's solution is about 10% of the cost of the enolmatic though.

I kind of sort those bottles out into 'like-kind'and use them all at once...TheN just have a glass of wine in one hand and do it as best I can....The Spring loaded wand did work, but holding it down took more time....I got nothing but time.
smiley4.gif

Looking at Joan's style of filler with open eyes.Edited by: Northern Winos

I prefer the spring loaded wand because if I have to step away for a minute I can just rest it in an empty and not worry about overflow.

I use this bottler, it doesn't matter if the bottles are punted or not:

<TABLE =Catalog id=products borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" align=center border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =table align=default width="2%">
<DIV align=center>4889 </TD>
<TD width="5%">
<DIV align=center>
4889_sm.jpg
</TD>
<TD width="20%">

Ferrari Automatic Bottle Filler

This slick unit can be used for bottling both still and sparkling wine. The filler has a tapered fitting that accommodates 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" siphon hoses.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Latest posts

Back