Home Vineyard-Year 3

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite most of my 2-yr old vines being stripped by deer, and 14” of rain in the last two months, the vineyard is looking pretty good.
IMG_3391.jpeg
This is year three for the Marquette and Petite Pearl. Most of the former are supporting a limited crop while the latter are still too small. In fact, deer ate all the shoots off the year two Itasca and Frontenac in early May. They have recovered and many are bigger than the Pearls.

IMG_3389.jpeg
These are some of the Marquette.

Looks good, no disease?
There are a few leaves here and there on two of the Marquette that have something… I’m thinking black rot?
image.jpg
I’m so busy with the addition that I haven’t had time to dig into it. I did spray 3 times now with mancozeb and it doesn’t seem to be spreading.

Are vines grafted? Or cuttings Is there any taste or yield differences between grafted and on own roots vines?

Can anyone tell me if this is a problem? Some of my Marquette grapes have these purple-ish spots on the berries, but not all of them. The leaves of the vines don’t show any signs of disease.
IMG_3417.jpeg

Could be the start of black rot or if you open one up and look for a small worm ,it could be grape berry moth. Also keep track of it and see if it develops into something more indenifiable.

Last edited:
Well today I picked my Marquette. I only had 13 vines bearing and I pruned them to 15-20 clusters per vine.

IMG_3616.jpeg
That’s the entire haul… maybe 30 lbs.

The Petite Pearl are also three years old but the vines are so spindly I didn’t let them bear any this year. Next year I should have a crop on all but a handful of my 88 vines.

I had never ever heard of Marquette until I signed up here, but a lot of you guys seem to grow it. I assume it’s pretty good to work with and makes a decent drop?

They look pretty good from here Chuck 👍

Back