Homemade riddling rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My riddling rack finally went into service as I've started to riddle 24 bottles of my 2022 Blanc de Noir in readiness for the holidays:

composite_web.png

The platform pivots around a piano hinge and can be set at 5 angles: in round numbers, 25, 35, 45, 60 and 75 degrees. As shown above I initially designed it to riddle a case at a time; however if you turn the wine boxes the other way around it's the perfect size for two:

Riddler_mk2 - web.jpg

There's a compression strap around the wine boxes - it's about 100lb when fully loaded...

I encountered a problem when I loaded up my regular wine boxes. The bottles in the middle column of each box were fine, but if I pulled out one of the lower outside bottles (as one does during the riddling process), the bottles above would come crashing down through the cardboard spacers. D'oh! So I got a sheet of hardboard and made some wooden dividers:

Riddler_mk2_detail - web.jpg

I expect to be riddling for about 3 weeks, followed by a few more days shaking the bottles with the cap end down. Then disgorging, followed by a few weeks recovery before serving as part of the Thanksgiving festivities 🍾

Latest posts

Back