Honey Citron and Ginger Tea

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Honey Citron and Ginger tea concentrate to make a “mead”. I know it isn’t really mead since it is less than 50% honey, but it looks to have the same consistency as honey. To make a glass of tea they use 2-3 tsp to 2.5 oz hot water. I am trying to figure out if using the whole jar (4.4lbs) would be too much in a gallon. I will try to test the SG and add additional honey if needed to get it to 1.095 SG, but it is said to have a lot of particulate in it, so I am not sure how accurate an SG reading would be. I would also like to know what other additives you would think I’d need, and a good yeast. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• honey  citron & ginger tea ingredients.jpg
    honey citron & ginger tea ingredients.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
  • honey  citron & ginger tea.jpg
    honey citron & ginger tea.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
It has been said that one can make wine out of any edible. ,,, maybe as noted last week
Folks have commented that ginger can inhibit fermentation, but it doesn't appear you have enough to be a problem.
5% looks like a high level of ginger. I would try it if I liked the products flavor. Based on Bryon’s comment I would do a starter as if it was expected to be a hard to ferment mixture

@Peggy Billingsley---I'm curious whether you started this mead and how it has progressed.

I have a jar of the same concentrate. As soon as I saw it at the store, I thought "Wine! I can make wine with this!" and somehow it jumped in the basket and followed me home.😁

Back