I love folks that have stopped making wine..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvac36

Reaction score
Did a repair ealier today at this older persons home. Well while working on the furnace I noticed a few older wine barrels 3-5 gal and 2 - 2.5 gal and 2 10 gal barrels. So started talking to him and the barrels are all from france with makings still on them for the 1980's used last year and cleaned and stored. Asked me if I was interested in them and after inspecting t hem said sure. Well he also had 8 6.5 gallon carboys 3 Demi-johns and a few other odds and ends.. Tells me to just take it all...... Im like really!!
Pictures to follow...
Now what do I need to do to the barrels?

Wow! Now that is a score! I sure hope you fixed his furnace! :)

Now regarding the barrels, if they were mine, I would get a sanitizing k-meta solution into them (3 T k-meta to 1 gallon of water) and let them sit for about a month with the solution in them. I would rinse them well with hot water prior to using them.

I am very happy for you and happy that all this equipment has found a good home. Good for you!

Wow, I"m thinkin you got the best ever score on here.

Now regarding the barrels, if they were mine, I would get a sanitizing k-meta solution into them (3 T k-meta to 1 gallon of water) and let them sit for about a month with the solution in them. I would rinse them well with hot water prior to using them.

I am very happy for you and happy that all this equipment has found a good home. Good for you!
Will follow these directions.. Thank you..
So am I and yes I did and no charge to him, I payed the bill... :)

Jim,
If you have an inspection camera, believe I would use it to take a look inside of the barrels, just to make sure there was no mold or whatever in them. Arne.

Back