Iodophor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
The man at the wine store didn't have k-meta and his suppliers didn't have it either. He sold me "IODOPHOR". Is it as good and as safe to use? The label says a lot of warnings about getting it in your eyes or on your skin or on your clothes. What say you? I was going to order k-meta, but the man I talked to said to use chlorine and rinse it good. It was going to cost about twice as much to ship it as the k-meta was.

Thanks

Semper Fi

That is mostly used in sanitizing when making beer. In a pinch I would use it but make sure you dont mix it to strong. It is a Iodine base and is a no rinse.

Its a great sanitizer but be careful as when not diluted it can really make a mess fast!

IMO, Iodophor is the preferred sanitizer. The awful annoying smell of K-meta drove me away from it. K-meta is not strong enough for beermaking, but iodophor can be used for both.

BTW, this kinda proves that your retailer is a "beer guy". When I ran a store (in Canada) ALL of my wine & beer suppliers carried k-meta.

Steve

IMO kmeta is strong enough for beer making BUT beer yeast is not very tolerant of sulfites and can cause non or problematic fermentation with beer or especially non carbonated beer. I dont advise using sulfite in beer making at all.

What strength do I want to make it, I have a choice of 12.5 ppm or 25 ppm?

Thanks

Semper Fi

True or False ? In making wine, I use the "Homebrewers" ratio = 1 tsp in
1 1/2 gallons of cool water = 12.5 ppm .

Semper Fi

I havent used it in awhile and I dont have anymore on hand to check instructions. If thats what it says on the bottle then thats what you should use. Its all the same as you want to sanitize your equipment.

my bottle it says 1oz to 10 GALLONS for 12.5ppm

I mixed up my solution, now I have another question. Do I have to keep it under a air lock or can I just lay a towel over the bucket?

Thanks

Semper Fi

? Are you trying to save it? Or. you just sanitizing something?

I thought I could make it up and use it as I needed it. How long does it last after you make it up?

Semper Fi

Not long. Now if you have Potassium Metabisulfite and mixed right that can last for months.

Are we talking about a couple of days or a couple of weeks or months. I'm not making anything right now, I quess I could sanatize everything for practice and then sanitize (there is a chance that one of those "sanitized" is spelled right) it again when I start back up

Thanks

Semper Fi

I use Potassium Metabisulfite use it to sanitize everything and then i pour it into a spray bottle it lasts for a long time, not sure how Iodophor will last though.

I'm pretty much a beer guy. I just bought my first wine kit last week. I use idophor. It seams to work great so far. I think it only last a day or so once it is mixed. However, someone told me as long as it has that tint color to it, it is still good. I haven't kept it for longer than 4 hours though. And I use it @ 12.5 ppm. Also you probably know this but it is a no rinse sanitizer.

Back