Light on the fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asum1982

Junior
Reaction score
Needed to know if you can add frozen grape concentrate to the primary if you come up short on your fruit? Had the sugar content too high and after adjusting with water to get in range 1.112 I think the grape flavor will be weak.

Grape juice concentrate is a commercial product. In countries which have rules against adding cane sugar a winemaker will add grape concentrate for chapitalizing. In the US concentrate made from Niagara is produced which has the foxy flavor notes removed to act as a bland sugar source.

Commercial grape syrup is thicker than frozen concentrate. Adding body will be easier with a syrup but you automatically add more sugar with the flavor solids. This pushes your gravity back up where you started fixing your must. WHEW!
Note the ingredient list on Langers has water as an ingredient.

You can purchase 1 liter containers of white or red grape concentrate, which I've used in fruit wines. But as David said, it will push your sugar up.

I'm guessing you don't have more fruit to add. Do you have access to a different fruit that would blend well?

Yes, you can definitely add frozen grape concentrate to your primary if you're short on fruit. It’s a common practice to boost flavor and sweetness. Just keep in mind that it will increase the sugar content, so you may need to adjust your water or acid levels accordingly. If you’re concerned about the grape flavor being weak, using concentrate can help enhance it.

If you have any other fruit options available, blending them might also add complexity and balance to your wine.

Cheers,

Back