Mulberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlehman

Junior
Reaction score
Wife and I picked a 5 gallon bucket full of mulberries this afternoon. Anyone have a 5 gallon recipe? Looking at the trees should get at least two more buckets. Hopefully that will be enough for a 5 gallon batch?

My mulberry recipe. Actually two;
1) press juice from mulberry > add 10 or even 20% lemon juice > add chemical acid powder to get the pH below 3.4 > add SO2, sugar, etc yeast. This creates a fruity wine.
2) press juice from the mulberry > add chemical acid to get the pH below 3.4 > add grape tannin at package maximum > add sugar to 1.090 > add yeast and ferment. This creates a big red wine.

My mulberry recipe. Actually two;
1) press juice from mulberry > add 10 or even 20% lemon juice > add chemical acid powder to get the pH below 3.4 > add SO2, sugar, etc yeast. This creates a fruity wine.
2) press juice from the mulberry > add chemical acid to get the pH below 3.4 > add grape tannin at package maximum > add sugar to 1.090 > add yeast and ferment. This creates a big red wine.
Thanks Rice Guy, what yeast did you use? I was thinking D47 but didn’t know if there’s a better choice.

freeze them mulberries, then just put them in your primary, 5 to 6 lbs per gallon liquid, stir daily with drill, after you get your liquids off then press the pulp, '
me i like a higher octane, so i go heavy on fruit, less on liquids, if low octane then D47 FINE, i use EC1118, run octane up high, then bulk age, come time to bottle i back sweeten to a FSG of 1.040, yeah, yeah i know sounds sweet, but what it really does is give you the same taste as eating your mulberries right from the tree, you can not compare country wines FSG to a traditional grape wines FSG, completely different ball game all together , and i would add no other flavors, no lemon juice or any other juice, mulberry wine stands great on its own,
welp just my 2 cents .... plenty of bulk aging, Time and patience are/is your most valuable ingredients period
Dawg

freeze them mulberries, then just put them in your primary, 5 to 6 lbs. per gallon liquid, stir daily with drill, after you get your liquids off then press the pulp, '
me i like a higher octane, so i go heavy on fruit, less on liquids, if low octane then D47 FINE, i use EC1118, run octane up high, then bulk age, come time to bottle i back sweeten to a FSG of 1.040, yeah, yeah i know sounds sweet, but what it really does is give you the same taste as eating your mulberries right from the tree, you can not compare country wines FSG to a traditional grape wines FSG, completely different ball game all together , and i would add no other flavors, no lemon juice or any other juice, mulberry wine stands great on its own,
welp just my 2 cents .... plenty of bulk aging, Time and patience are/is your most valuable ingredients period
Dawg
Thanks Dawg. I put the mulberries in a pot then just added enough water that I could see it brought to a boil for a few minutes then ran them threw my juicer. Made 2.5 gallons of juice from a 5 gallon bucket. Don't know if that's the correct way of doing it or not? I like the freezer idea will give that a try in the future. Looked at the trees last night and it looks like there ready to be picked again.

heating can lock in protein haze sometimes, I never heat anything, freezing breaks up the cell walls and allows the fruit to turn loose, I know some on here do heat, and there's as many ways to make wine as they are winemakers,, lol. I make only country wines, and my goal is a wine that taste like the fruit/berry you pick and eat, but with some kick to it,
people used to drive down my gravel road and stare at me, standing on the very tip top of a ladder eating mullberries, lol.
best of luck to you, blackberry, strawberry, elderberry and mulberry are my fav's,,, time and patience are your key ingredients.
Dawg

Back