My local winemaking store is closed!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a sign of the times in our craft and elsewhere.
Have you seen the prices of top of the line kits ?
With the weather and water problems in the west coast and area ., plus all the bad weather in Europe and the fact that craft beers are bigger with the younger generations than wine is , anyone remember The Fine Wine Vine Toy Store.
Just my thoughts
I remember them Joe. They were in the Dallas area I believe. In that case, the owner died and there was no one that wanted to take the business forward. As I recall, they were very successful.
Yep, I knew George, nice guy. His store wasn't doing bad and he did expand into commercial hardware sales, but what really hurt him was when the state decided to tear up I35 in front of his store (actually several miles worth) and this wasn't a small project. Took about 4 years IIRC. George told me the construction cut his walk in business by 50%. He told me he was thinking of closing the store about a year before he died. He supported the local wine clubs, did demos on the weekend, and had all the beer making supplies fresh and ready to go. Wine kits were on his shelves and fully stocked, everybody but WE, as there was a pissing contest. He direct imported Mosti kits and got me into those heavily. Always helpful, always willing to talk with the customer. He'd had health issues for a while and died after a routine procedure. His widow didn't want to fool with it and I just think there wasn't enough cash flow to justify the loans needed to buy the joint. Still miss him even though the FWK kits are even better than Mosti kits.

In fact, there is only one LHBS in San Antonio and that's in a city of 1.5M. They have a small amount of beer supplies, about all I use them for is when I need some extra bottles, there's just nothing else in the store I'd buy. I understand why no one carries stock anymore, but if I have to order it local I can guarantee it's cheaper off the web and comes right to my door. A fully stocked store is wonderful, I would usually walk around the store looking at everything and often I would buy something extra that I had not come in for.

In fact, there is only one LHBS in San Antonio and that's in a city of 1.5M. They have a small amount of beer supplies, about all I use them for is when I need some extra bottles, there's just nothing else in the store I'd buy. I understand why no one carries stock anymore, but if I have to order it local I can guarantee it's cheaper off the web and comes right to my door. A fully stocked store is wonderful, I would usually walk around the store looking at everything and often I would buy something extra that I had not come in for.
That is what I do in a hardware store; something I did not come in for, much less needed! :slp

I remember the videos that Dave made, very instructive for those just getting into kits. He had good pricing and a very wide selection. I know that I bought at least 4 carboys from him and all arrived all the way from Texas without breakage. I do have to say that I did not have good luck with the Mosti Modiale products. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with them.

Last edited:
I remember them Joe. They were in the Dallas area I believe. In that case, the owner died and there was no one that wanted to take the business forward. As I recall, they were very successful.
His name was George

Sign of the times , my friend

If you want these resources to exist you must support them.

Downtown is where the businesses were.

Strip centers started to kill downtown in the fifties and sixties. They did it by providing contemporary looking spaces and providing parking.

Malls killed strip centers in the seventies, eighties, and nineties. They did it by attracting national chains and providing indoor event space.

Malls killed downtown.

In the two thousands, malls are dead or dying and everybody is moving back to strip centers. No one is moving back to town.

Here's the thing. The independent shop keeper can no longer afford the rent unless they can build a large customer list. To do that they must use every bit of social media they can. Which means they either have to be savvy to social media or hire someone who is. That person will make all the money until the customer base is built. The new shopkeeper must have deep pockets and a burning desire to succeed in his chosen field.

If they already exist in your area, patronize your local brick and mortar. If you don't, they won't be around much longer.

Strip centers started to kill downtown in the fifties and sixties. They did it by providing contemporary looking spaces and providing parking.

Malls killed strip centers in the seventies, eighties, and nineties. They did it by attracting national chains and providing indoor event space.

Malls killed downtown.

In the two thousands, malls are dead or dying and everybody is moving back to strip centers. No one is moving back to town.

Here's the thing. The independent shop keeper can no longer afford the rent unless they can build a large customer list. To do that they must use every bit of social media they can. Which means they either have to be savvy to social media or hire someone who is. That person will make all the money until the customer base is built. The new shopkeeper must have deep pockets and a burning desire to succeed in his chosen field.

If they already exist in your area, patronize your local brick and mortar. If you don't, they won't be around much longer.
Your correct, Gino Pintos is what would call local about 26 miles way and doesn’t sell kits ,, south Jersey is dry at the moment I think .

Malls killed downtown.

Excellent post

Gino's is just under a 3 hour drive for me. They may sell misc supplies and equipment but I see them as more of a produce company. They are my closest source for southern hemisphere grapes and that is what I use them for. We have another produce company a lot closer that gets fall grapes from California but are strictly a produce company and don't carry anything other than fall grapes.

Back