My local winemaking store is closed!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forty five years in business. Managed/owned ten businesses in very different industries. Service, specialty retail, construction, development, real estate, a lot of experiences.

Of course, everything we write is at least partially opinion. Other than water being wet (and not nearly as tasty or challenging as making wine) it's pretty hard to state pure facts. I don't claim to be Warren Buffet or Elon Musk. But I have been around the block a couple three times.

This is a sign of the times in our craft and elsewhere.
Have you seen the prices of top of the line kits ?
With the weather and water problems in the west coast and area ., plus all the bad weather in Europe and the fact that craft beers are bigger with the younger generations than wine is , anyone remember The Fine Wine Vine Toy Store.
Just my thoughts

This is a sign of the times in our craft and elsewhere.
Have you seen the prices of top of the line kits ?
With the weather and water problems in the west coast and area ., plus all the bad weather in Europe and the fact that craft beers are bigger with the younger generations than wine is , anyone remember The Fine Wine Vine Toy Store.
Just my thoughts
I remember them Joe. They were in the Dallas area I believe. In that case, the owner died and there was no one that wanted to take the business forward. As I recall, they were very successful.

Seeing all these different perspectives is helpful to me.

One aspect of winemaking that did not occur to me at first is that it is a leisure activity. And it may be that any hobby is becoming a luxury. Golf courses are having issues finding players in our area. Retirees with pensions are rare, which was the bread and butter of the golf and country club set. I hear about the gig economy and working until your 70 more and more. When I hear senior citizens need to work as Walmart greeters to live, that is concerning. I remember when that job existed because of boredom. There are more ways for people to spend their free time these days, that require less commitment than wine making.

So, I guess that the target demographic for a LHBS would be bored, rich people? Build the Disneyland of winemaking and charge admission?

One aspect of winemaking that did not occur to me at first is that it is a leisure activity.
The customer base is not homogeneous. We're a VERY diverse bunch. A partial list from my POV:
  • traditionalists, e.g., grandpa and/or dad taught me
  • DIY folks, which is actually a very diverse group in its own right
  • Folks that are simply curious
  • Retired folks who are looking for new interests
  • "I can do that!" folks, who are a bit different from DIY, at least in my mind
  • back-to-nature folks
  • folks looking to make cheap alcohol
Bored people with money is probably the least likely demographic. Why? 'Cuz winemaking is too much effort for anyone that bored! 🤣

The customer base is not homogeneous. We're a VERY diverse bunch. A partial list from my POV:
  • back-to-nature folks
Bored people with money is probably the least likely demographic. Why? 'Cuz winemaking is too much effort for anyone that bored! 🤣
You forgot procrastinators!

I'll just say that adding on to a humorous thread doesn't necessarily indicate intention to negate the humor that went before it. However, I acknowledge that anytime someone quotes me, I feel like that means they are contradicting me. But that ain't always so...

(Now someone should quote me and imply something different! :) )

I'll just say that adding on to a humorous thread doesn't necessarily indicate intention to negate the humor that went before it. However, I acknowledge that anytime someone quotes me, I feel like that means they are contradicting me. But that ain't always so...
Dammit Paul, you're wrong!!!

🤣

My 2 cents. Back in the 70' through 1986, I owned a business that targeted the wealthy and afluent. After two years in and starting to make $$, but worked 90 hours a week, I hired a business manager. Best idea I ever had. Incorporated. We went from 5 to 43 employees (I became an employee) income in '82 exceeded 12 million. Then came 1983 Houston. Oil died. $75k (230k today) jobs became non existant. Everything crashed. In 1986, declared bankruptcy. No matter how well run a business is, outside forces can intervene. And one can do nothing but ride the wave. Luckily most of my employees saved for a rainy day and survived. Over the last 40 years (wow!!!) We have all gone on and done good. Though one can be broke, we never were poor.

I remember them Joe. They were in the Dallas area I believe. In that case, the owner died and there was no one that wanted to take the business forward. As I recall, they were very successful.
His name was George

I tried to support our local shops but with the exception of a few wine kits if it didn't also pertain to beer making as well, they didn't have it. Also, with the 2 near me they knew about brewing beer but not much about making wine. But I'm sure this isn't always the case.

My go to is Morewine, reasonable prices on a large inventory, quick shipping and shipping is free for orders over $59. They let you know upon placing the order if anything is out of stock.

I tried to support our local shops but with the exception of a few wine kits if it didn't also pertain to beer making as well, they didn't have it. Also, with the 2 near me they knew about brewing beer but not much about making wine. But I'm sure this isn't always the case.

My go to is Morewine, reasonable prices on a large inventory, quick shipping and shipping is free for orders over $59. They let you know upon placing the order if anything is out of stock.
I had the same experience. Their big emphasis was on beer brewing. They had a few wine supplies that were also used for beer making and they would gladly order you most anything from LD Carlson .... and charge you the shipping cost. It was neither convenient nor economical.

• back-to-nature folks
Took the words right out of my mouth.

That diversity makes it hard to market. Traditionalists tend to go with the old grapes and recipes. Takes a lot of education - which they think they don't need - to reach them.

The DIY crowd tend toward YouTube research. Sometimes they find the right guys. Sometimes they don't. Whichever they find they tend to listen to. They tend toward buying from those vendors that are recommended in the videos.

Retired folks are a good market. Much easier to reach via personal contact. Tastings at the retirement community, churches, etc.

I can do that's? Not sure who they are.

Back to nature folks tend to crush and let nature take it's course. Maybe they figure out, after their first go 'round that they should do some larnin' and readin' somewheres.

Folks looking to make cheap booze don't necessarily care about quality. Most of those I've met purchase gear to do something we're not allowed to talk about on this board.

Overall, getting to all of these groups and the ones not mentioned whoever they may be, is a real challenge. Takes a multi-pronged campaign. Social media, outdoor advertising, little ads in church bulletins?

Currently, we have two LHBS's near enough to make the trip worthwhile. One would rather grind grain for brewing than talk to us about exotic yeasts, YAN, or anything winemaking. The other is a hardware store that serves both parts of the hobby. But the staff are the same people who can show you where to buy a shut off valve or sell you a new blade for your lawnmower. None of them are actually trained on fermentation hardware or software. They don't spend much time in that part of the store.

Another closed six or seven years ago. They had decent stock, concentrated on wine, and the owner actually fermented on occasion. He devoted a couple of aisles in his hardware store to fermentation. Alas, at retirement age he succumbed to a lucrative offer to sell the building to a national dollar store chain.

More Wine gets a lot of our business.

It appears I'm fortunate, as the LHBS I mentioned has been around since the 80's. The owner and most of the employees are knowledgeable.

I've seen a fair number of LHBS come and go in my area, including 3 that I frequented. The last one was a short drive, 7 minutes from my house, but the owners (husband and wife) got a bit snotty with me that last 2 times I went in, so I stopped going. I drove by 9 months later and they were gone, so I assume the way they treated me was not unique.

I just searched and a few places I saw listed 2 years ago are gone. There is one in Durham ... with a big "Going Out of Business" graphic on their site.

We had 2 local "sister" stores that both closed their brick and mortar stores and are now online only. I get why, but it was nice to be able to run up and buy some yeast or other small ingredients whenever I needed them. I try to support them first but if I have to pay shipping and wait anyway, I definitely look for the best deal now so they are not always my first choice anymore.

Back