Natural corks leaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought 30 #9 corks from FastRack and I bottled about 25 bottles of Skeeter Pee that aging in the carboy for 5 months. A few days after bottling I noticed leaking in about 6-8 bottles. This is only the 2nd time I use natural corks. I bottled over a 1000 bottles but only Nomacorc. Is it normal?
image0 (5).jpegimage2 (2).jpegimage1 (2).jpeg

I bought 30 #9 corks from FastRack and I bottled about 25 bottles of Skeeter Pee that aging in the carboy for 5 months. A few days after bottling I noticed leaking in about 6-8 bottles. This is only the 2nd time I use natural corks. I bottled over a 1000 bottles but only Nomacorc. Is it normal?
View attachment 116436View attachment 116437View attachment 116438
Not sure what your process is, but you should leave your bottles standing for a few days after bottling. The process of inserting the cork puts some pressure in the bottle, which comes back out through the cork. If your bottles are on their side while this occurs, it’ll push liquid out instead of air as the pressure equalizes.

Back