New Maryland Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was great to meet you and sorry that i talked so much. I could talk for days about winemaking. Have to let you know when we are in the area and we can pop a cork with you.

Re Deer - I put up five strands of electric wire across my end posts, giving me roughly a six foot fence. I put up a plastic seven foot “deer fence” at the top and bottom. Before I bought the energizer, I saw that the deer were not going through the electric wires - they knew what they were and wanted no part of them. I have video cameras pointing at the vineyard and it showed the deer walking up to the end post fence and turning away.

In the event I see them learning, I plan to run a new two strand fence, energized this time, about three feet from the end post fence. Deer don’t do well with three dimensional fences and getting zapped by the first one ought to do the trick.

See post 107 in the thread about my vineyard

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/starting-a-new-vineyard.74907/page-6

I had a family crisis this week so I did not spend much time in the vineyard. That was all it took for the deer to wipe out all the chardonnay and Sangiovese. I think the cab sauv and franc were only ignored because they weren’t quite as ripe. Very tough lesson.

We spent the day hanging hay bail netting to give the cab sauv and cab franc at least some protection. I still need to get out there and cinch together the bottoms.

Before and after:
IMG_3757.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4791.jpeg

I had a family crisis this week so I did not spend much time in the vineyard. That was all it took for the deer to wipe out all the chardonnay and Sangiovese. I think the cab sauv and franc were only ignored because they weren’t quite as ripe. Very tough lesson.

We spent the day hanging hay bail netting to give the cab sauv and cab franc at least some protection. I still need to get out there and cinch together the bottoms.

Before and after:
View attachment 115207

View attachment 115206

View attachment 115208
Sorry to hear about that. The crisis and the grapes. I hope all is well. I was surprised when I heard deer eat grapes… you’re not the first to report it.

Another sad day in the vineyard yesterday. The deer seem to be eating the clusters through the netting. I’m seeing lots of half eaten clusters pulled halfway through the mesh. I went out on the 4 wheeler to scare them off and had one jump right through the mesh netting. I feel like I’m going to lose all these reds too.
IMG_4304.jpeg

IMG_4305.jpegIMG_4306.jpeg

Dang. Have you tried a deer repellent? That, with the nets may work. The deer need to learn that they aren’t worth the effort. I use the repellent alone to keep them from eating the tender young vines. I am using the insect netting… it’s pretty tough stuff so I think it will protect the fruit from deer.

Another sad day in the vineyard yesterday. The deer seem to be eating the clusters through the netting.
The only thing that stops them is sturdy fencing around the vineyard, and actual grape netting over the clusters. The net alone may stop them, if you are not concerned that they are in the vineyard, and it mostly keeps out other pests. There was devastation to the new grafts I have done, not sure what is still alive. I had surgery and could not get out there, though I knew that the fence had broken. The deer love apples, and not just the fruit. They even ate my tomato leaves one year. That was the year I scared the just-born fawn in my trellises.

Dang. Have you tried a deer repellent? That, with the nets may work. The deer need to learn that they aren’t worth the effort. I use the repellent alone to keep them from eating the tender young vines. I am using the insect netting… it’s pretty tough stuff so I think it will protect the fruit from deer.
I’ve tried deer-x in past years with limited success but it washes off at the first rain. Also, I am hearing it may affect the grape flavor if it gets on the clusters.

My wife is investigating the possibility of some type of grant to help with the fence cost.

I’ve tried deer-x in past years with limited success but it washes off at the first rain. Also, I am hearing it may affect the grape flavor if it gets on the clusters.
We use a commercial garlic-based deer repellant to keep the overgrown rodents from eating my wife's flowers. It works, but it requires spraying weekly.

You do not need to spray the vines. Spraying around them works fine. Spray around the vines AND spray a ring around the vineyard.

Yeah you have to keep up with it… at least early on. They seem to learn and I have been able to ease up after a while. I haven’t noticed problems with lingering taste on veggies… haven’t tried grapes.

Like you, my goal is to fence the vineyard/orchard/ garden area. For me that’s only about 1.5 acres… and only three sides. The house covers the fourth.

Perhaps if you spray the vines when they are young then switch to spraying around them after veraison it would work.
The stench (which for the product we use is the correct word!) keep the animals away. One source suggested spraying around the plants to protect, plus spray in the nearby area the deer may travel to get to the plants, to train them to use a different path.

The stench (which for the product we use is the correct word!) keep the animals away. One source suggested spraying around the plants to protect, plus spray in the nearby area the deer may travel to get to the plants, to train them to use a different path.
I am using DeerStop. It’s not that stinky I think it repels by taste not smell. It does say to spray it on the plants.

I am using DeerStop. It’s not that stinky I think it repels by taste not smell. It does say to spray it on the plants.
My wife purchased Liquid Fence deer & rabbit repellant.

This stuff isn't THAT bad ... but I learned to spray downwind, NOT upwind ....

Back