One gallon jug, tapered cork won't stay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm using North Mountain 0ne gallon kits, and the silicon cork will not stay put. I made a crude fix by tying them down with string, which will be a pain to reapply. I must be missing something. Have others had the same issue? I'm usually pretty good at fixing about anything but these corks have me buffaloed.

Attachments

• slippery stoppers 001.JPG
    slippery stoppers 001.JPG
    575.3 KB
I have 1 gallon jugs from 3 manufacturers. The ones I got from North Mountain slip 99% of the time, others are rock solid. Getting everything absolutely dry might help. I quit fighting and use duct tape to hold the stoppers in place.

I have the same problem with some of my silicone stoppers on 1 gallon or 5 gallon carboys. I either tape them down or zip tie them down from the neck. The rubber stoppers work best, and I will only buy/use those if at all possible.

I've re-washed them, sanitized them, and dried them and the neck with clean wipes and often times they still 'pop-up'.

I'm using North Mountain 0ne gallon kits, and the silicon cork will not stay put. I made a crude fix by tying them down with string, which will be a pain to reapply. I must be missing something. Have others had the same issue? I'm usually pretty good at fixing about anything but these corks have me buffaloed.
What is the size of your stopper? I used a 6.5 on one gallon jugs and do not have any issues. Another thing I have done successfully is to "rough up" the surface of the stopper with sand paper, taking some of the glaze off the silicone.

https://labelpeelers.com/search.php?search_query=6.5 stopper&section=product

I’ve had that too. Slight variations in stopper sizes/not remembering which size fits best with each carboy. I use medium weight jewelers wire and wrap it around the neck of the carboy where the lip is and up over the bung - sort of like a champagne cork. Works like a charm. I just keep a couple lengths cut and ready on transfer days.

Agree with the comments above. drying both he outside of the rubber bung and the inside of the carboy neck helps; i have used rubber bands to help keep it stable in the first place.

Alternatively you can get these carboy hoods that slip over the outside of the top:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/carboy-blow-hood-threaded-neck-carboys.html

plug the s type airlock in one of the tubes. these have usually always fit the 3, 5, and 6 gallon carboys i have had on hand.

Hope this helps,

-Mike

Back