picture of wine rack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I have a lot of wine to store, I look for several things in deciding on a wine rack.

Density: Racks that hold the most bottles in the least amount of space. The picture that Dan (RunningWolf) posted is my favorite style of rack. There is very little wasted space in this style of rack.

Ease of use: Diamond or bin style racks can have high density when full, but they can be a pain in the behind when you want the wine that happens to be at the bottom of the pile. Dan's style is easy to use, you can remove any wine without disturbing others. The downside is that they work best with the size of bottles they're built to hold. Larger bottles won't fit in standard racks.

Dan, do I understand correctly that you made the racks in your cellar using the pattern from the above website? I have to ask you, how did you came up with a 10 x 13 design? You do very nice work.

With our limited storage for most of us please take into account a typical bottle usd and dont make the distance between each tier much bigger to allow for more tiers for more bottles. I made tghis mistake thinking I might use magnums here and there and now have a lot of wasted space between tiers and probably could have fit another couple hundered bottles. I didnt add much room between biut if you take that extra room and multiply that by about 5 per rack and then about 8 rakcs total it could have fit a lot more bottles which I must say I wouldnt have thought I would have needed but as you are probably figuring out abput now this is an addictive hobby and trying to age some bottles the numbers add up and Im out of room at about 1,250 bottles and have to resort to what Tom does and stack them on the floor. Its one reason I still have about 9 carboys full and already aged over a year and need bpottlng but really no where to put them. Cant wait for the holidays to give some away.

Cant wait for the holidays to give some away.

I'll PM you my address, Wade!!!

Really, that is a good point you made about the distance between the tiers. I can see where someone would easily make the mistake of taking too much of the wine storage with wasted space. I'll keep that in mind.

Back