Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, Its 2024. Just buy the roll of LED tape light (which comes with its own app to set schedules) and peel off the backing and stick it up where you want it along the underside of the cabinets. Literally a 5 min job and no standing on your head!

IMG_1288.jpeg

Installing this stuff while standing on my head has been fun. The tracks I am using are very hard to work with. One more side to go. Next time I'll just stick the LED strips to the cabinet like the pro electricians do. :rolleyes:

View attachment 113946

Jim, Its 2024. Just buy the roll of LED tape light (which comes with its own app to set schedules) and peel off the backing and stick it up where you want it along the underside of the cabinets. Literally a 5 min job and no standing on your head!

View attachment 113950

Thanks for correctly identifying the year. I was worried about you. There IS a roll of LED tape inside those channels. They are being used to prevent what happens after several years when airborne cooking grease accumulates, the LEDs get coated, and the slapped-up strips start falling down. Because they often do. It's a better, luxury way to do it, but a PITA to install. Your installation is relatively simple compared to mine.

Last edited:
IMG_20240711_111913764.jpg

There we go. Everything's all cleaned up now, a little vacuuming, move the stove, install the sink baskets, and it's countertop installation tomorrow. We could have a working sink by Friday night or Saturday. :)

Still to come are the spacer above the cabinets, the crown moulding around the room, the subway tile, the counter outlets and switches, the over-sink pendant light (you can see the electrical box for it up there), the floor, and the trim. Waiting on the custom crown moulding and the filler piece for that spot you see on the back of the Lazy Susan.

Give me your honest opinions. Can you tell, without me explaining, the difference between the cut inside the circle in the top photo and the cut I received from the countertop company?

unnamed.png

IMG_20240712_115113165.jpg

IMG_20240712_115125580.jpg

The countertop people couldn't. I told them and told them, explaining what I wanted to see. I handed the example photo to my salesperson and explained to her what I wanted. I emailed her two more times with the photo attached. I handed the photo to the template guy when he came and explained to him. I handed the photo to the former owner when she was working to fill in one day as I made another deposit on the work. And explained and explained and explained. That sensual cut detail is why we bought this high-dollar European sink and went with a high dollar countertop company.

So, it is going back to Chattanooga, 100 miles away, to get recut. They just made a 200-mile roundtrip to install it for nothing. And we're still without a kitchen. But when I've worked so hard for 3 months to get it to this stage, I am not compromising on appearance items. Other than that, the day is going great! 😄 A case of Southern Belle just landed on my doorstep, so all is not bad.

Give me your honest opinions. Can you tell, without me explaining, the difference between the cut inside the circle in the top photo and the cut I received from the countertop company?

View attachment 113996

View attachment 113997

View attachment 113998

The countertop people couldn't. I told them and told them, explaining what I wanted to see. I handed the example photo to my salesperson and explained to her what I wanted. I emailed her two more times with the photo attached. I handed the photo to the template guy when he came and explained to him. I handed the photo to the former owner when she was working to fill in one day as I made another deposit on the work. And explained and explained and explained. That sensual cut detail is why we bought this high-dollar European sink and went with a high dollar countertop company.

So, it is going back to Chattanooga, 100 miles away, to get recut. They just made a 200-mile roundtrip to install it for nothing. And we're still without a kitchen. But when I've worked so hard for 3 months to get it to this stage, I am not compromising on appearance items. Other than that, the day is going great! 😄 A case of Southern Belle just landed on my doorstep, so all is not bad.
I’ve had granite countertops installed in 5 kitchens over the last 20 years. Not to mention countless times in my commercial construction career. The under mount sink almost always comes with a full sized paper template for use in cutting the top. In my experience the faucet hole is alway cut in the field at the time of install. The hole size is standard but is risky for the fabricator to make ahead of time. Not only for location but it also increases the risk of breaking it when lifting and positioning. The installer brings the diamond drill bit with him and uses a squirt bottle to wet it while he drills. Even when the location is as obvious as yours seems to be I’ve always seen it done in the field.

I’ve had granite countertops installed in 5 kitchens over the last 20 years. Not to mention countless times in my commercial construction career. The under mount sink almost always comes with a full sized paper template for use in cutting the top. In my experience the faucet hole is alway cut in the field at the time of install. The hole size is standard but is risky for the fabricator to make ahead of time. Not only for location but it also increases the risk of breaking it when lifting and positioning. The installer brings the diamond drill bit with him and uses a squirt bottle to wet it while he drills. Even when the location is as obvious as yours seems to be I’ve always seen it done in the field.

Here's TMI: Yup, the guy took the sink template when he came and made the counter template, and the faucet will be field installed. No problems there. I chose a non-reveal opening, which differs from the example pic, no problem there.

But on arrival it did NOT have the bevel on the bump-out in the example picture. I told them the very first time we walked into the place and every time since, handing out the example picture to the salesperson (3 pix in emails and 1 hard copy), to the template guy when he was here, to a former owner of the company who was filling in and took my second deposit check. I told each that the bevel must be there and I would not accept it if it weren't. Oh yes, we'll be sure to do that, was the reply.

On the example pic, it is clear to me that the straight-cut sides of the opening begin to meld in the back into the bevel around the faucet bump. I pointed all that out, every time. I worked HARD to avoid this very result. The counter company rep now says they can see no difference between what they delivered and the example pic. Really?

I looked at it on the trailer and I felt it with a finger then and told them that bevel I want is not there. Oh yes sir, it is, they said and so they brought the countertop into the kitchen and put it on the cabinets. It is so obvious from the photos I posted that the bevel is NOT there. I agonized over sending it back. But the way it is, it is UGLY. That bevel is the reason we bought the expensive European sink. I had my wife look at it. She said, you have three months of your own hard work on this project, so you decide. I decided I was not gonna compromise on the appearance I am after, so I said send it back for the bevel.

They damaged my cabinet door by sliding the countertop back off, and SAID NOTHING. I found it after they left. And oh gee whiz, the company will not return my texts or emails once I sent a pic of that and asked who pays for a replacement. The cabinets are top of the line, the very best offered by the cabinet company. So a door won't be $19.95.

I didn't like their contract from the get-go, but they came highly recommended. I dunno if this is industry standard or not, but the contract states that all materials are theirs until installed and I sign off on the work.They required 50% up front, then a 40% payment at template time, and there is still 10% outstanding. That's not the way I am used to paying contractors. And it ain't cheap, since we thought we were buying skill as well as quality. I could have had a countertop for 40% off the price I am paying if I just wanted a straight cut, slap it in there, good enough job.

We should have had counters and a sink today. This lil deal here is good for another month of delays. It is what it is.

Here's TMI: Yup, the guy took the sink template when he came and made the counter template, and the faucet will be field installed. No problems there. I chose a non-reveal opening, which differs from the example pic, no problem there.

But on arrival it did NOT have the bevel on the bump-out in the example picture. I told them the very first time we walked into the place and every time since, handing out the example picture to the salesperson (3 pix in emails and 1 hard copy), to the template guy when he was here, to a former owner of the company who was filling in and took my second deposit check. I told each that the bevel must be there and I would not accept it if it weren't. Oh yes, we'll be sure to do that, was the reply.

On the example pic, it is clear to me that the straight-cut sides of the opening begin to meld in the back into the bevel around the faucet bump. I pointed all that out, every time. I worked HARD to avoid this very result. The counter company rep now says they can see no difference between what they delivered and the example pic. Really?

I looked at it on the trailer and I felt it with a finger then and told them that bevel I want is not there. Oh yes sir, it is, they said and so they brought the countertop into the kitchen and put it on the cabinets. It is so obvious from the photos I posted that the bevel is NOT there. I agonized over sending it back. But the way it is, it is UGLY. That bevel is the reason we bought the expensive European sink. I had my wife look at it. She said, you have three months of your own hard work on this project, so you decide. I decided I was not gonna compromise on the appearance I am after, so I said send it back for the bevel.

They damaged my cabinet door by sliding the countertop back off, and SAID NOTHING. I found it after they left. And oh gee whiz, the company will not return my texts or emails once I sent a pic of that and asked who pays for a replacement. The cabinets are top of the line, the very best offered by the cabinet company. So a door won't be $19.95.

I didn't like their contract from the get-go, but they came highly recommended. I dunno if this is industry standard or not, but the contract states that all materials are theirs until installed and I sign off on the work.They required 50% up front, then a 40% payment at template time, and there is still 10% outstanding. That's not the way I am used to paying contractors. And it ain't cheap, since we thought we were buying skill as well as quality. I could have had a countertop for 40% off the price I am paying if I just wanted a straight cut, slap it in there, good enough job.

We should have had counters and a sink today. This lil deal here is good for another month of delays. It is what it is.
I went through a similar experience getting a custom-cut marble vanity top made just last year. Not a cheap way to go, but I thought it was worth the money to make it 'spiffy'. I picked the piece of marble out of a slab, went home, guy comes out and custom measures the vanity with digital 3D scanner stuff....cool. Next weeks the installer guys show up and....the cuts are off on one side. no Go...so back it goes, they re-cut the same piece...still No Go. OBVIOUS not even 'flat' down the wall side of the countertop.
SO....back to the factory...pick out a NEW piece of marble...they send out a different guy to 'scan' the vanity again...a week later they show up with a PERFECT top...cut , correct curves and bevels...custom fit. NICE.
A BIG hassel...but they finally got it right. No extra cost to me...which probab;y was a good thing, right? It took twice as long to get done, but...totally worth holding out for the top being correct.
Makes me think long and hard about hiring ANYONE to do ANYTHING for me anymore! lol . Yes, I am a grumpy old man now.

I went through a similar experience getting a custom-cut marble vanity top made just last year. Not a cheap way to go, but I thought it was worth the money to make it 'spiffy'. I picked the piece of marble out of a slab, went home, guy comes out and custom measures the vanity with digital 3D scanner stuff....cool. Next weeks the installer guys show up and....the cuts are off on one side. no Go...so back it goes, they re-cut the same piece...still No Go. OBVIOUS not even 'flat' down the wall side of the countertop.
SO....back to the factory...pick out a NEW piece of marble...they send out a different guy to 'scan' the vanity again...a week later they show up with a PERFECT top...cut , correct curves and bevels...custom fit. NICE.
A BIG hassel...but they finally got it right. No extra cost to me...which probab;y was a good thing, right? It took twice as long to get done, but...totally worth holding out for the top being correct.
Makes me think long and hard about hiring ANYONE to do ANYTHING for me anymore! lol . Yes, I am a grumpy old man now.

That just sucks, for sure. Can you imagine how the company reacted to that guy measuring wrong? Coulda been a career ender, lol...

I agree, the template guy's measuring equipment was cool, but the company contractually required that I not be in the room with him at all while he worked. All I can hope for now is that they will make it all right. If not, could be I need to call my attorney. My gosh, I hope that doesn't have to happen. I'm pretty well irked at the cabinet door damage, since replacement delivery takes a long time. And they just left, didn't say a thing! It took a lot of Irons One Bourbon to get my mind off it last night!

And I hear ya on contractors. My cabinet installers do mostly very high end stuff. They did two kitchens for Martha Stewart. But even they took some small shortcuts I really didn't agree with or like. And the hole for my sink drain pipe is not on-center, so I had to re-drill it and gotta use silicone later on that gap. This countertop thing, though, my gosh... after a;; those pix and telling them... I have seen a beveled bump-out in real life, and it looks awesome. It is a small detail with a big visual impact. I also have been to at least two people's houses who had them just plain straight-cut and told me, "This isn't how I wanted that to look." I don't wanna look at regret every time I get a glass of water.

Anyway, too many words for a pic topic! 😄 I appreciate you guys who jumped in!

How about a video? Check it out if you can. Turn the sound up. 😆 Just click it, it will play...

I dunno, man... Do you think the yard looks a lil thirsty? 😄

View attachment 114090

The U.S. Drought Monitor says we are in a severe drought... again...

View attachment 114091
I think Minnesota is getting all the rain! Lots of flooded fields in agricultural areas so lots of lost crops this year. And other consequences:

https://m.startribune.com/manure-pi...-in-southern-minnesota/600376074/?clmob=y&c=n

https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-rains-mean-an-agony-of-crop-loss-for-some-farmers/600376045/

Back