Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay, rain!

IMG_4176.JPG

Went to the countertop place today. Thank God for Home Depot, which has a video explaining all the kinds of edge cuts to countertops. Armed with that info, in 5 minutes, I explained (yet again) to them what I want. I think they finally got it. We'll see. BTW, no one ever said, "Sorry for this," or "Sorry for ruining your cabinet door," or just "I'm sorry." I'd give them a bad Google review, but they curate them so all you see is the 5-star ones. SMH.

Give me your honest opinions. Can you tell, without me explaining, the difference between the cut inside the circle in the top photo and the cut I received from the countertop company?

View attachment 113996
They dropped their cookies

The margins /border is way different, cut wrong
Stand your ground….Get what you want

View attachment 113997

View attachment 113998

The countertop people couldn't. I told them and told them, explaining what I wanted to see. I handed the example photo to my salesperson and explained to her what I wanted. I emailed her two more times with the photo attached. I handed the photo to the template guy when he came and explained to him. I handed the photo to the former owner when she was working to fill in one day as I made another deposit on the work. And explained and explained and explained. That sensual cut detail is why we bought this high-dollar European sink and went with a high dollar countertop company.

So, it is going back to Chattanooga, 100 miles away, to get recut. They just made a 200-mile roundtrip to install it for nothing. And we're still without a kitchen. But when I've worked so hard for 3 months to get it to this stage, I am not compromising on appearance items. Other than that, the day is going great! 😄 A case of Southern Belle just landed on my doorstep, so all is not bad.

I think Minnesota is getting all the rain! Lots of flooded fields in agricultural areas so lots of lost crops this year. And other consequences:

https://m.startribune.com/manure-pi...-in-southern-minnesota/600376074/?clmob=y&c=n

https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-rains-mean-an-agony-of-crop-loss-for-some-farmers/600376045/

They now claim the picture I posted is Photoshopped and they cannot duplicate it. :rolleyes: So I compromised on getting a bullnose cut along the edge. They are supposed to do a sample first before cutting the top. Waiting for the pic of the sample.

They now claim the picture I posted is Photoshopped and they cannot duplicate it. :rolleyes: So I compromised on getting a bullnose cut along the edge. They are supposed to do a sample first before cutting the top. Waiting for the pic of the sample.
It would seem to me that you can cut and grind stone in any virtually shape.

It would seem to me that you can cut and grind stone in any virtually shape.

Yep, and even better, this is engineered quartz, which is mostly acrylic with quartz dust added. It is the most malleable stone or stone-like countertop material available. The essential problem, I think, was the failure of three people from the countertop company to LISTEN to what I said that I wanted, even as I gave detailed descriptions and provided a photo to them all. When I finally got the cutter on the phone and said "It should look like a river stone," he said, "Ahhhh..." We'll see what kind of sample they come up with. I never heard an "I'm sorry" in the entire process.

Yep, and even better, this is engineered quartz, which is mostly acrylic with quartz dust added. It is the most malleable stone or stone-like countertop material available. The essential problem, I think, was the failure of three people from the countertop company to LISTEN to what I said that I wanted, even as I gave detailed descriptions and provided a photo to them all. When I finally got the cutter on the phone and said "It should look like a river stone," he said, "Ahhhh..." We'll see what kind of sample they come up with. I never heard an "I'm sorry" in the entire process.
It sounds like you need a new countertop guy!

Glorious!

We had a cold start to the year. We have been eating asparagus for a few weeks, but just got our first side of peas and beet tops last night. At least a month behind our usual slow years.

We have cabbages planted, but nothing ready for the plate. Enjoy it! And know there are people in Alberta feeling sorry for themselves as you do. 😄

Mrs IB's brother and SIL drove out for a visit from KC, MO. We did a few days here in Lost Almost and Santa fe and then we drove out to Flagstaff/Williams, AZ for a couple of days. We booked accommodations on the Grand Canyon Railway and Hotel.

https://www.thetrain.com/

You can stay in the park or in Williams (which we chose). We chose the Observation Dome car. You basically board the train at ~9AM and the train leaves Williams and heads north to the GCNP arriving around 11AM. The train goes maybe about 10-15MPH so it allows you time to chat with your neighbors and enjoy complimentary snacks or the cash bar. Coffee, juice and soft drinks are gratis. They have a host in each car that acts as the bartender and gives a nice presentation about the park and things you can do and see while you are there. You only have about 3-4 hours to sightsee. But that's enough time to see the rim, see the museums, tour the gift shops, eat lunch (they have options from a nice sit down restaurant to grab and go items. The train heads back around 330 in the afternoon and heads back to William's arriving around 530 or so but not before the train gets "robbed" by the newly "escaped" Cripple Creek gang who holds up the train and "robs" the patrons (basically this is where you are supposed to tip your host). They have a western guitar player who wanders through the cars taking request. (He was actually quite talented and had a wonderful voice). The same actors put on a Wild West show 30 mins before you board the train which was sorta like something you would see at Six Flags etc. All in all it was a fun couple of days. Weather was warm but not overly hot thank goodness. The monsoons kept the temps down nicely in the area. I had not ever been to the GCNP so it was a bucket list item for me. We go through Flag a couple of times a year but we are always on a mission to see the kids/grandkids in SOCAL and or winery visits in Paso Robles so like a horse headed for the barn..........

Sorta felt like a scene from the movie "Vacation" with Chevy Chase. (insert the song "Holiday Road" here) as the squirrel tries to steal my water bottle!

IMG_1365.jpeg

So, fill us in on the details of that train trip... Looks fun...

Last edited:
Well green chile' roasting season has begun in earnest a week earlier than even last year! Once upon a time it happened in late August and was a sign that Fall was just around the corner. Now its late July. They do look spectacular this year. Chile does not like heavy rain. They water sporadically by flooding the rows as needed and the chile fields (the large ones anyways) are all down south in Hatch, NM between Socorro, NM and Las Cruces. Very hot and dry country. You may even find Hatch Chile' now in your neck of the woods in small bags in the produce section. New Mexican's buy large 40lb boxes and have them roasted onsite in a large flamethrower contraption and then take them home in a trash bag and let the sweat and cool for several hours until you can handle them, then put them into quart or gallon freezer bags and store. They will last 12-18mo in the freezer. Just pull out a bag, thaw and put them to use. We put that sh!t on everything as they say!

1722088127556.png

1722088152232.png

1722088432917.png

1722088171722.png

Well green chile' roasting season has begun in earnest a week earlier than even last year! Once upon a time it happened in late August and was a sign that Fall was just around the corner. Now its late July. They do look spectacular this year. Chile does not like heavy rain. They water sporadically by flooding the rows as needed and the chile fields (the large ones anyways) are all down south in Hatch, NM between Socorro, NM and Las Cruces. Very hot and dry country. You may even find Hatch Chile' now in your neck of the woods in small bags in the produce section. New Mexican's buy large 40lb boxes and have them roasted onsite in a large flamethrower contraption and then take them home in a trash bag and let the sweat and cool for several hours until you can handle them, then put them into quart or gallon freezer bags and store. They will last 12-18mo in the freezer. Just pull out a bag, thaw and put them to use. We put that sh!t on everything as they say!

View attachment 114390

View attachment 114391

View attachment 114393

View attachment 114392
Mike, do these chile's have a Scoville Heat Unit measure? If so, what is it?

Latest posts

Back