Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocky, we've talked about this before. After college, I was a weekly newspaper editor, sports editor, promotions and circulation director, radio advertising account executive, radio advertising sales director, daily newspaper county correspondent, daily paper special sections editor, daily paper magazine division managing editor, then a research writer for the office of marketing and communications at a university – in that order.

Most fun job overall – radio advertising sales director, during the go-go days of radio. What was not to like? Company car, free resort trips, lunches and dinners by just signing the check, great money ... it was a VERY nice ride while it lasted.

Now, I am a has-been – another fantastic position that I highly recommend!

Here's me in the good ole days accepting a Virginia Association of Broadcasters award for Community Service when I was a radio sales director. We put together a subdivision, builder and other businesses to construct and sell a home with all profits going to endow a housing rehabilitation effort for the poor. Lots of fun! The endowment still exists today.

View attachment 116170
Ah. Those broadcasting days. Been in the tech end for 40 years. Those 80's and 90's were lots of fun. Except you sales guys were all over the place! And had all the fun!!! And were miserly with spending $$ that would improve the signal!

But first we need to get there first. and that is about 2 years away.
Not gonna happen!

I’m not saying we can’t or shouldn’t go to mars. It’s just that the history of these endeavors is that they take far far longer than even the best estimates (the first moon landing excluded). They have concepts but so many pieces need to come together yet.

Ah. Those broadcasting days. Been in the tech end for 40 years. Those 80's and 90's were lots of fun. Except you sales guys were all over the place! And had all the fun!!! And were miserly with spending $$ that would improve the signal!
That was the golden age of radio! I had more fun in that job than anything I have ever done. That's where I learned that you get well very cared for when you are bringing in the revenue. ;)

Not gonna happen!

I’m not saying we can’t or shouldn’t go to mars. It’s just that the history of these endeavors is that they take far far longer than even the best estimates (the first moon landing excluded). They have concepts but so many pieces need to come together yet.
Yep! We landed on the moon in 1969 - 55 years ago, And still no one is living there - no base camp has been built - don't even hear it being mentioned anymore. I suspect Mars will be the same deal.

Scientists say these are a couple of the earliest humans as we now know them. Some of our earliest ancestors.

1728999940931.png
1729000037901.png

The one on the right is definately a winemaker!

Yep! We landed on the moon in 1969 - 55 years ago, And still no one is living there - no base camp has been built - don't even hear it being mentioned anymore. I suspect Mars will be the same deal.

BUT... We have left our buirned our cars on the moon already, so that's progress! 😄 And we've left our junk on Mars, so we're off to a good start! 😄

Seriously, I live near a NASA town and now that China has mentioned plans to put a base on the moon, we already are hearing new and innovative ways to spend our tax money.

Yesterday was our anniversary so we took a short drive to Athens, AL, to The Salty Cod English Pub to eat and to UG White Mercantile for some browsing.

The Salty Cod's owner told us the buildings had collapsed roofs and were in sad shape when they started redoing them 2 years ago. It has been open a year, and even has snugs, at right! It is a pub, butcher shop, bakery and gelato shop all rolled into one.

THE SALTY COD.jpg

Thsi is called Bubble & Squeak... Grilled bubble and squeak cake, Atlantic salmon, Irish cured bacon and spinach cake glazed with a shrimp, tomato and fennel cream sauce. Delicious!

IMG_20241015_133633343.jpg

Lamb Shepherd's Pie... also delish!
IMG_20241015_133621099.jpg

UG White...

UG WHITE MERCANTILE.jpg

Haven't seen these for years...They had the bubble gum cigars, too.

IMG_20241015_124129627.jpg

The store is decorated with old advertising that made me gawk... Up front is an old red, very large Coke box that still cools... I talked a bit with the owner about it.

IMG_20241015_124806788.jpg

Yesterday was our anniversary so we took a short drive to Athens, AL, to The Salty Cod English Pub to eat and to UG White Mercantile for some browsing.

The Salty Cod's owner told us the buildings had collapsed roofs and were in sad shape when they started redoing them 2 years ago. It has been open a year, and even has snugs, at right! It is a pub, butcher shop, bakery and gelato shop all rolled into one.

View attachment 116867

Thsi is called Bubble & Squeak... Grilled bubble and squeak cake, Atlantic salmon, Irish cured bacon and spinach cake glazed with a shrimp, tomato and fennel cream sauce. Delicious!

View attachment 116868

Lamb Shepherd's Pie... also delish!
View attachment 116869

UG White...

View attachment 116872

Haven't seen these for years...They had the bubble gum cigars, too.

View attachment 116871

The store is decorated with old advertising that made me gawk... Up front is an old red, very large Coke box that still cools... I talked a bit with the owner about it.

View attachment 116870

Happy anniversary!

I haven't made time to shoot any nighttime photos this year but caught a glimpse of the comet a couple of nights ago and thought I better dig out my camera. This is from last night. The comet is high enough to view over the mountains. Should be a little higher tonight and might be able to capture it over Mingus mountain from my front yard.

2023c3.jpg
Cometc3.jpg

Back