Pressing with the Wineasy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a cab sauv in a 30 gallon Blichmann wineeasy and it's ready for pressing. I am going to use the piston press. Last time I used it the pomace was still pretty wet after pressing. Is there a tip for getting more from the pressing with the piston or should I just put the wet pomace in my bladder press and press it some more after the wineasy is done?.

I have a cab sauv in a 30 gallon Blichmann wineeasy and it's ready for pressing. I am going to use the piston press. Last time I used it the pomace was still pretty wet after pressing. Is there a tip for getting more from the pressing with the piston or should I just put the wet pomace in my bladder press and press it some more after the wineasy is done?.

I have 4 of the wine easy presses and the vacuum pump was designed for 14psi, or 1 bar of pressure. A bladder press will typically go up to 2 bar. And a basket press can go up to 5 bar. Working within those limitations, you can wait between presses with the wine easy, with low risk since its a sealed system so long as you keep the press in place. Waiting 30min-2hr between presses will allow for more tannin / juice extraction. You can also tape your pump fittings with stainless steel thread tape to prevent air leakage and get the most from your pump. Not the cheap vinyl plumbers thread tape. This is true for both liquid and gas stainless NPT fittings.

Last edited:
I have 4 of the wine easy presses and the vacuum pump was designed for 14psi, or 1 bar of pressure. A bladder press will typically go up to 2 bar. And a basket press can go up to 5 bar. Working within those limitations, you can wait between presses with the wine easy, with low risk since its a sealed system so long as you keep the press in place. Waiting 30min-2hr between presses will allow for more tannin / juice extraction. You can also tape your pump fittings with stainless steel thread tape to prevent air leakage and get the most from your pump. Not the cheap vinyl plumbers thread tape. This is true for both liquid and gas stainless NPT fittings.
After using the Press piston, I scooped the pumace out of the Wineasy and put it in a bladder press and got 4 more gallons from it. So what your saying is that it's normal and I should just leave it uder pressure for longer snd it will extraxt the additkonal juice?

After using the Press piston, I scooped the pumace out of the Wineasy and put it in a bladder press and got 4 more gallons from it. So what your saying is that it's normal and I should just leave it uder pressure for longer snd it will extraxt the additkonal juice?
4 gallons is alot. My pomace is fairly dry whenever Im done and I rarely go more than 2 presses. Something doesn’t seem right about that. Honestly, sounds like something may be wrong with your pump. Another issue could be if the false bottom was placed upside down it would prevent your press from working correctly.

4 gallons is alot. My pomace is fairly dry whenever Im done and I rarely go more than 2 presses. Something doesn’t seem right about that. Honestly, sounds like something may be wrong with your pump. Another issue could be if the false bottom was placed upside down it would prevent your press from working correctly.
I had the pressure plate with the metal tabs pointing up towards the false bottom. When I cleaned it up the false bottom was covered in seeds and there was a pool of wine still in the bottom. The piston did move down and was flush against the grape bed. But it was pumping air into the wine that was in the carboy.

I had the pressure plate with the metal tabs pointing up towards the false bottom. When I cleaned it up the false bottom was covered in seeds and there was a pool of wine still in the bottom. The piston did move down and was flush against the grape bed. But it was pumping air into the wine that was in the carboy.
Install is correct on pressure plate. Are you using the Blichmann vacuum pump? What pressure reading are you getting? Mine is modified slightly, but I typically get at least 600 mmHg on gauge when pressing. Also, are you including stems with grapes?

Attachments

• IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Install is correct on pressure plate. Are you using the Blichmann vacuum pump? What pressure reading are you getting? Mine is modified slightly, but I typically get at least 600 mmHg on gauge when pressing. Also, are you including stems with grapes?
Yes. I am using the pump that cane with it. I didnt look to see the pressure. I dis drain 6 gallons out of the fermenter free run before running the piston. Maybe that was too much as when I seated the piston it was on the grape cap and not liquid. I had 20 gallons of must (,4 5 gallon buckets) and was expecting at least 12 gallons. Maybe that was too much?

I just looked at my vintage tracking sheet. I’ve pressed over 40,000 pounds of grapes with my wineasy, since I started in 2013. It does a good job on fermented reds and my pressings are dry to my satisfaction. Not as dry as you can get with a basket or hydraulic press, but good enough.

I have found the press not doing a satisfactory job on whites (pump not strong enough) or reds that I used an enzyme on (the must clogs the screen).

I’ve been using my All-In-One bottler to power the press the past few years, mostly out of convenience.

After using the Press piston, I scooped the pumace out of the Wineasy and put it in a bladder press and got 4 more gallons from it. So what you’re saying is that it's normal and I should just leave it uder pressure for longer snd it will extraxt the additkonal juice?
Do you have a picture of your set-up? Something sounds wrong.

After all the free-run comes out, you will the evacuate the air and co2 out of the must as the poison begins to do its thing. Is that what you were experiencing?IMG_0143.jpeg

I just looked at my vintage tracking sheet. I’ve pressed over 40,000 pounds of grapes with my wineasy, since I started in 2013. It does a good job on fermented reds and my pressings are dry to my satisfaction. Not as dry as you can get with a basket or hydraulic press, but good enough.

I have found the press not doing a satisfactory job on whites (pump not strong enough) or reds that I used an enzyme on (the must clogs the screen).

I’ve been using my All-In-One bottler to power the press the past few years, mostly out of convenience.
Ah. I have used Lallzyme EX on the last batch so maybe that is the issue. I have the all in one wine pump as well.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of your set-up? Something sounds wrong.

After all the free-run comes out, you will the evacuate the air and co2 out of the must as the poison begins to do its thing. Is that what you were experiencing?
I drained out 6 gallons of free run wine and the inserted the piston with the pump and it drew out more wine until it started pulling air out into the Carboy. It was about 9 gallons and the must was still really wet. I then scooped the must into a bladder press and got about 13 gallons total.

Attachments

• 17273892852192707203367127206371.jpg
    17273892852192707203367127206371.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back