Produced CO2 amount during maceration...Difference?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midilli

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have attached 2x videos that show the small part of maceration process (i was trying to push the cap while recording).
One video from the last year and the other one for present.
You will see that there is a huge difference with the amount of co2 bubbles produced during maceration.
Both grapes were %100 syrah.

Should i expect the current one has less sugar and producing lower level of co2? Which would lead to low level of alcohol?
Or, is it about the "speed" of the producing process?
Or, not that much important to worry?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• maceration.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
Every ferment is different -- the amount of visible activity is not any useful indicator other than something is happening. Differences can include yeast (even if you're using the same strain), solids in the wine, ambient and must temperature, etc. If your SG is dropping, things are progressing.

Less CO2 just means less active fermentation. You’re just enjoying some low and slow fermentation most likely. However one thing to check is if the slowdown is not from lower temperature, smell it regularly and watch out for a sulphur/match/fart smell. That’s a sign of stressed out yeast and something to deal with but otherwise, enjoy the process as it plays out and hopefully some nice aromas from a slower ferment.

Back