Running Low

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere earlier Wade stated that he was throwing away the screw top bottles. Are they unsafe to cork? Why can't you use them with corks? I think I have a few that I have cleaned, but none that I have used for bottling.
Edited by: gaudet

Do not cork a screw top as they dont have the thicker top walls to accommodate the pressure from a corker. i have done a few when I first started out making wine with no problems but have heard many horror stories of a bottling splitting when either corking or pulling the cork and people getting cut to the tendons or just many stitches or just a plain old waste of wine. Not worth it and especially if giving that bottle to someone else!!!!

I have used a few screwcap bottles and the cork seems to go in way too easily. One of them leaked on me after being on its side for a few days. I dont try to cork screw caps anymore.

Uhhh, just finished doing 134 bottles today. Im on vacation all this week so Ill be getting a lot more since I have the chance. My wife is going not going to be happy with me with all the bottles coming into the house and then in the tub. I do clean up after myself though but the bottle tree and the boxes are what gets on her nerves.

I just got 10cases of bottles (120 bottles) at a local winery. The corker pressed the corkall the way downinto the bottles. The bottles are new but dirty without a lable, with a cork inside. I have seen the cork remover. How much work am I in for?

That bag trick is slick....going to have to try that one....

We use a piece of thin wire with a little hook bent at the end...

Insert the wire, turn the bottle up side down with the wire beside the cork....Line the cork up with the bottle opening...and pull the wire....The cork will slide out with the wire...

Did that make any sense???

Yes, I will try that next. the bag trick works. Each time it rips my bag. I ran out of bags. (120 bottles) synthetic corks are hard to pull out.

Rockytop, George sells a removal tool for a few dollar. It wont rip after each use. That is the problem I had with the bag- it always rips.
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=9009

<TABLE =maintable borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=2>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Item Number</TD>
<TD>9009</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Description</TD>
<TD>

Cork Retriever Three Prong

</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Current Price</TD>
<TD>$6.49</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Status</TD>
<TD>Stocked</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Order</TD>
<TD>Order</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD =#ffff00>Picture</TD>
<TD>
retrieve_sm.jpg
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

I picked up another 67 bottles today and have been cleaning them all day after pouring my new floor down stairs. I have the last batch soaking now and thats it for awhile as Im right to the ceiling where I keep the empties!

Latest posts

Back