Should I tape the bung to the carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once a wine is degassed, if I switch to a solid bung I always tape it down. Every time I've not taped it I've checked on the wine to find the bung has popped itself out one day. I've had no issues with airlock bungs but with solid, if you have little headspace (as you should) even a small temperature increase can significantly raise the air pressure behind the bung and pop it out.

Once a wine is degassed, if I switch to a solid bung I always tape it down. Every time I've not taped it I've checked on the wine to find the bung has popped itself out one day. I've had no issues with airlock bungs but with solid, if you have little headspace (as you should) even a small temperature increase can significantly raise the air pressure behind the bung and pop it out.
This is why I use vented bungs in carboys.

How do you sanitize the caps?
with a potassium metabisulfite solution also called K-meta, i just soak everything in it and run that solution through my silicone tubing,
Dawg
as for bungs pushing up, try when shoving then into your carboys twisting as you shove them in.
Dawg

Latest posts

Back