Stock pot versus steam juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sburkle

Junior
Reaction score
A friend of mine uses a stock pot to cook down his elderberries and cherries and makes his wine with the juice. His wine is really good. Which way is better, the stock pot or useing a steam juicer? He says he puts about a gallon of water in with his fruit to start and then adds as needed

If he's adding water, it may be diluting the juice down some. Both methods are using a similar means to extract the juice from the berries. Since I've never used a stock pot, I can't say which way is better/more efficient.

I've tasted his wine and it is good. Doesn't taste diluted down. Don't you add water anyway?

Each has a different taste, the stock pot is easier, the steamer a little more work and you have to watch it doesnt run dry. We have used both, I think the steamer has a better less astringent taste than the cooked version, it took the cooked version of ours longer to be a good wine, but then it might stay better longer then the steamed one. You can also dry them, that makes a totally different wine, and you can even just crush and press them and use the juice if you have enough berries. Dont forget to add pectinase. Crackedcork

I've tasted his wine and it is good. Doesn't taste diluted down. Don't you add water anyway?

The fast answer is: "Depends". Some fruits like pears, strawberrys, etc. can go with 100% juice. Other juices from blackberries or muscadines, may need some water to lower acid levels.

Back