RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan @ 4 months

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider the Cellar Craft Showcase Roso Foriltissimo a Super Tuscan.

So do I. My guess is that it doesn't follow the generally accepted blends of a predominantly Italian grape (Sangiovese) with 2 Bordeaux grapes (Merlot and Cab). From taste alone, I'd say it's 50% Cab, 25% Merlot and 25% Petit Verdot. All of these varieties are gown in Tuscany or Piedmont.

Technically, an Eclipse kit should be a step up from a Winery Series kit just like the EP kits. It's pretty subjective, though, when you consider that there are only 5-6 red wine Eclipse kits available. The Winery Series kits have a solid reputation, and you certainly have more options available. Given the popularity of Super Tuscan kits, you'd think WE would have one (I think they used to).
I would put Eclipse on par with Winery Series from Spagnols, in that the grape packs with each are jars of goopy grapey stuff.

EP kits are dried grape skins. Early (just 2 years of tasting splits along the way) returns for me show that the goopy pack kits have more of a fruit forward characteristic and dried skins have a little more of a tannic back bone to them.

For this reason, it is understandable why kit and taste preference would be subjective.

So do I. My guess is that it doesn't follow the generally accepted blends of a predominantly Italian grape (Sangiovese) with 2 Bordeaux grapes (Merlot and Cab). From taste alone, I'd say it's 50% Cab, 25% Merlot and 25% Petit Verdot. All of these varieties are gown in Tuscany or Piedmont.

No, it does follow that formula. Here is some info from the Vineco website:

Our original Crushed Grape Pack wine. Super-Tuscan styled wine vinted from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Sangiovese and other native Italian varieties. A big, full-bodied wine with solid structure and bold fruit notes. Complex cassis, plum and cherry notes balance the bold tannins. French and American oaks contribute toasty vanilla and greater depth in this intense wine. Like all Crushed Grape Pack wines, a minimum of 6 months aging is required to begin to see harmony develop. A year is better and 2 years yields a very special wine for your enjoyment.

The Northern Brewer website says that the primary grape used is Sangiovese. I still wonder what the "other native Italian varieties" are.

No, it does follow that formula. Here is some info from the Vineco website:

The Northern Brewer website says that the primary grape used is Sangiovese. I still wonder what the "other native Italian varieties" are.

I have to wonder how Northern Brewer knows the blend and no one else. If you take the proportions from the Vineco statement "Cab, Merlot and Sangiovese (plus others)" and the proportions are in that order, I'd believe it. I'm pretty sure Cab is the predominant grape.

Either way, it's a decent Super Tuscan... very good after 2 years.

For some reason I have put off making my RJS WS Super Tuscan. I had a busy summer and haven't made time to do this kit yet. I think tonight might be the night. Thanks for reminding me ;)

I have to wonder how Northern Brewer knows the blend and no one else. If you take the proportions from the Vineco statement "Cab, Merlot and Sangiovese (plus others)" and the proportions are in that order, I'd believe it. I'm pretty sure Cab is the predominant grape.

Vineco could have also just listed the varietals in alphabetical order. I have heard of 'Super Tuscans' that are pretty much Bordeaux blends with little to now Sangiovese, though.

Yeah, 'Super Tuscan' really has no official controls. Since it would seem (at it's core) to mean "Italian grapes" you could blend Nebbiolo, Barbera and Sangiovese to make a super-super Tuscan.

For some reason I have put off making my RJS WS Super Tuscan. I had a busy summer and haven't made time to do this kit yet. I think tonight might be the night. Thanks for reminding me ;)

Food for thought... Consider putting the oak chips in a cheese cloth bag or something like that so it can be squeezed when ready to rack. My RJS ST (now in 1st day of stab. and clearing) was difficult to rack primary to "secondary" as the chips kept clogging my auto siphon. A second and bigger issue for me is that I lost a lot of wine that was absorbed by the oak chips - never in 7 previous kits had as much head space needing topping off.

Yeah, I suppose I agree with you. At first, I read your statement literally, where the phrase "predominantly Italian" appears to merely modify the provenance of Sangiovese. I now think you were trying to say that the blend should predominantly contain an Italian grape. I agree that we shouldn't put enough stock in the Northern Brewer's site to aver that Sangiovese is the predominant grape.

Clearly, though, all agree that it does have Sangiovese.

Last edited:
Food for thought... Consider putting the oak chips in a cheese cloth bag or something like that so it can be squeezed when ready to rack. My RJS ST (now in 1st day of stab. and clearing) was difficult to rack primary to "secondary" as the chips kept clogging my auto siphon. A second and bigger issue for me is that I lost a lot of wine that was absorbed by the oak chips - never in 7 previous kits had as much head space needing topping off.

Pretty sure that kit comes with a bag to put chips and grapey content in.

Super Tuscan = Italian Deliciousness

no need to look at the ingredients

It really should mean that!! Every time I open a blend I think "these guys must have really tried to come up with something special".

Pretty sure that kit comes with a bag to put chips and grapey content in.

One cheese cloth bag for the two jars of grape skins but no second bag or "infusion" bag for the chips - for this kit.

Here are the pertinent instructions...

NOTE: Some wine kits may contain Oak powder/chips.
Oak powder/chips – If your wine kit does, open it and add it now. Stir vigorously.
Dehydrated fruit – If your wine kit does, rehydrate in hot water and add mixture to primary fermenter. Stir vigorously.
Oak chip infusion bag (resembling a tea bag) – If your wine kit does, soak it
submersed in 1 cup of hot water for 10 min. Do not open infusion bag. Add water and infusion bag to primary fermenter.

6. Empty Contents of “Grape Skin Jar” into a clean sanitized
straining bag (enclosed)
.Tie the bag securely and place in
primary fermenter.

One cheese cloth bag for the two jars of grape skins but no second bag or "infusion" bag for the chips - for this kit.

Here are the pertinent instructions...

NOTE: Some wine kits may contain Oak powder/chips.
Oak powder/chips – If your wine kit does, open it and add it now. Stir vigorously.
Dehydrated fruit – If your wine kit does, rehydrate in hot water and add mixture to primary fermenter. Stir vigorously.
Oak chip infusion bag (resembling a tea bag) – If your wine kit does, soak it
submersed in 1 cup of hot water for 10 min. Do not open infusion bag. Add water and infusion bag to primary fermenter.

6. Empty Contents of “Grape Skin Jar” into a clean sanitized
straining bag (enclosed)
.Tie the bag securely and place in
primary fermenter.
Guess I don't always (well never really) follow directions. I add them together in the chesse cloth bag, they fit, and I squeeze everyday. That being said, I use an oak tube after I rack, and also let is sit in a "close" to neutral barrel now for at least 4 months, but prefer 6. So I'm sure the kit people assume none of this is happening to make the kits.

Guess I don't always (well never really) follow directions. I add them together in the chesse cloth bag, they fit, and I squeeze everyday. That being said, I use an oak tube after I rack, and also let is sit in a "close" to neutral barrel now for at least 4 months, but prefer 6. So I'm sure the kit people assume none of this is happening to make the kits.

Yeah, there was plenty of room in the bag for both. Your method would have saved me some aggravation. This kit was the first that I got with oak chips as opposed to the oak powder which I got with several other kits that I've done. I wonder if there was any good stuff left in those chips I tossed that could have been used in another kit? Maybe save both skins and chips next time?

Back