Top up with fizzy wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekaterina

Junior
Reaction score
Hello. I really need an advice on how to proceed with porto batch. I did everything according to instructions:
- primary fermentation
- stabilization and second fermentation
- optional racking and top up
And when I already finished with the last step, I realised, that the wine I topped up my port is fizzy meaning it started to ferment in the bottle for some reason.
I already stabilised port and added sugar to it. Do I need to stabilize it again since the top up is fermenting? Can it cause the new fermentation? Should I add more sulphites?

Hello. I really need an advice on how to proceed with porto batch. I did everything according to instructions:
- primary fermentation
- stabilization and second fermentation
- optional racking and top up
And when I already finished with the last step, I realised, that the wine I topped up my port is fizzy meaning it started to ferment in the bottle for some reason.
I already stabilised port and added sugar to it. Do I need to stabilize it again since the top up is fermenting? Can it cause the new fermentation? Should I add more sulphites?
add sorbate

Is this from a port-style kit? If so, which one?

What did the "stabilization step" entail? Was this a component from the kit?
It's RJS Cru Specialty Orange Chocolate style. Stabilization and clearing step was Sulphite, Potassium Sorbate, finishing blend, Kieserol, Chitosan, degassing. All from the kit

You didn't get your question directly answered. I don't think that you need to do anything further. The stabilization step should, uhhh, stabilize the wine even in the face of adding fermenting wine.

Latest posts

Back