using and sanitizing zorks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guessing at your local shop, 10 bucks for package of 30 corks and 30 caps.As aFVW member, Zorks are around 11.75. I use them to fill in and as anovelty. My Testarosso label (CC - RF)with the red zork looks and taste pretty good.You're paying forconvenience once you'vetryed them.

at FVW. Member prices in brackets

Corks $5-$6 or up ($4.49-$5.39)
Shrinks $3 (2.69)

So corks + shrink combo$7.98-8.98 ($7.18 - $8.08)

Zorks $13 ($11.69)

So, Zorks roughly 50% more than cork-shrink combo. depending on corks bought

Steve

Don't forget your corker!

VFW ($15.29 - 57.59) not including shipping +++
roughly .07 per closure for over 250 bottles. Like I mentioned, convenience for few cents more.

I've had my current corker since Oct 2008. It's only done about 450 bottles, so far. Cost around $100. So 22 cents per cork inserted so far, or $6.60 per batch of 30. Price dropping constantly. Hopefully another 60 this sumer, bringing price down to about 20 cents per cork inserted.

I view the corker as equipment (like a carboy, and an Auto-Siphon), so it's not counted in the cost of a batch of wine.

But if you're just starting out, and TOTAL price is a big concern, sure go with Zorks. I'm not even sure if I can buy them easily at the moment. Got some at an LHBS in Buffalo, but haven't seen any since. Not sold at my regular store.

Steve

I can see benefits to recorking a bottle or two with Zorks, say replacing very old corks in a wine collection. And even for bottling gallon size batches, not dragging out the floor corker. Here's my question: does it bother anyone except me that they are so BUTT UGLY?

Hey Tony,
Don't know if I should have an opinion or not (I'm so new to this forum and to winemaking in general) but as for the "traditional" look of the corks I do like the way they look more so than the Zorks. As far as the over all function of the zorks I only know what Ive been told. I havent bottled with them yet.

Latest posts

Back