Where can we buy fresh grapes for red wine making?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless we start making a lot of wine, it won't age.

That is exactly the position that I’m in. Everyone thinks there should be an intervention but I’m just trying to get enough wine so I can’t drink it all.

The only way to age wine is to make more than you drink. Sounds like a joke, but it's literally true.

I can't recall who first said it, but a while back one of our members said something profound: We are always making wine for the future.

I have 725 lbs of grapes fermenting in my cellar, and next weekend I'm getting 2 juice buckets + 150 lbs more grapes. I'll bottle the whites in ~6 months and will be drinking them 2 to 3 months later. The reds will be bottled in November 2025, and I'll sample a few bottles before the fall of 2026.

Why? 'Cuz my reds need time to age. They'll be drinkable sooner, but better if I wait. And I have years of backlog I'll drink while these age. Note that not all wines need 2 years of aging, but for my general winemaking style, they often do.

The last few years I've been posting a poll in the Summer, asking people how much wine they make annually:

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2024-wines-in-detail/

The comments may be more interesting than the poll results.

Note: The poll originally closed on 30 September, but I re-opened it for 30 days. We didn't get as many voters this year.

Latest posts

Back