Vacuum asperators

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I got a lot better as time went on - the overflow was from the first three of the five rackings I did. I didn't get any during the last two (yay!). Thanks for the tips.
smiley4.gif
Although the sangria-like treat the end, well who can really complain...

Wade, I'd like to see pictures when you're done with that. I'd been thinking about altering a small bung for working with the aspirator and my gallon batches.

I have some silicone bungs that have two holes already in them and a rubber flapper on top. I haven't had to yet, but could cut the flap off and slip fittings or something in the two holes so I didn't need to drill a rubber stopper for the two holes. Let me grap a picture of the stoppers for you here.

20091205_183425_phpThumb_genera.jpg

This one isn't quite like what I have, but should give you an idea of them.

http://www.google.com/product_url?q...RAAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=image

I don't remember right now. They may have even been from the place the picture shows. I just checked and they do have the four holes like in the picture. Just plug the holes you don't need with a screw or something.

Sure, ask me that tonight. They are out in the winery and I'm in the house! Seriously if I remember right they are around a quarter inch- maybe a hair less. They are intended to be the air vent holes and the flapper seals them shut. Positive pressure in the carboy opens the flap and lets air out. Where there is a hole, there is a way! Seriously, I haven't had a need to use the jug idea yet.

Well there you go, Joan. Ask him that and get a very technical answer that leaves us thinking... FLAPS??!
smiley5.gif

I did get a funny sort of vintage 1920's image in my head when he mentioned "flapper seals" but I don't see what that has to do with wine...
smiley17.gif

appleman said:
Sorry ladies. You just lost me with that train of thought...................
Sweet! We'll call it even then.
smiley36.gif

Seriously though, thanks for all of the advice on these gizmos. It's already made a big difference in my wine-tending (and free time - yay!).
smiley1.gif
smiley20.gif

Wade,
Sorry for asking a question you may have already answered.

Looking at your photo of the Vacuum pump racking system you have,

the Outgoing carboy has a racking cain and hose going to the Receiving carboy, is there a racking cain in the Receiving carboy?

(I know I'm not Wade but I think I have some information about this)
smiley1.gif

You have to use a racking cane in the outgoing carboy. I also used one in the receiving carboy (as I think everyone else does too). This allows you to minimize and also control the amount of splashing (although it's happening in a vacuum so that's not as crucial - and some people prefer to splash a bit to get all of the CO2 out). I raised the racking cane in the receiving carboy towards the end of the racking process to maximize the endfill level and also assist in avoiding the potential end-of-rack air rush if the vacuum wasn't shut down quickly at the end of the rack. If the end of the racking cane is under the liquid at the end, there can be an unfortunate "whoosh" of air if you're not careful.

I use a short 6 inch piece of racking cane for that. I can adjust it up or down to avoid the air going into the wine. To control splashing, just put tension on the hose of that cane and it tilts to the side a bit and hits the side of the carboy and runs down instead of splashing a lot. If I want to splash the wine on transfer, just tilt the hose until the cane centers.

Back