What is The Best Nebbiolo Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first wine I ever made was an RJS Cru International "Italy Nebbiolo Style" it only cost $99 shipped (I think MSRP was $119) and it was the old 12 Liter formulation. Currently they have the same kit, but with 8 liter more concentrated formulation for only $105 shipped (MSRP now $129 it seems) at Howdy Brewer - link below.

In light of this thread getting revived I opened a bottle last night. It was started February 2021 and bottled August 2021. Early tasting notes were that it tasted OK but not terribly like a Nebbiolo, no 'tar and roses' and bit more of a basic fruity taste and a somewhat sweet note even though it finished at 0.994 (and 14% abv). At 3.5 years old it has improved but still not great nor particularly reminscent of Nebbiolo, still more fruity than I'd associate with that style and lighter in tannins. I would not make it again, but then I am not planning to make kits very often. If I made it again I add wine grape skins and a bit more tannins.

https://www.howdybrewer.com/product...MI6rmqtLyYhwMVnM7CBB1A_Au_EAQYAyABEgKtx_D_BwE

Did you add tannins and oak in the primary and secondary ?
That builds structure and depth.
Just asking

I bought the Sommelier Select, which is now $199 (I got it for about $150 on sale back in 2022).
I just bottled the Winexpert Limited Edition Nebbiolo. It's not really a fair comparison, obviously, because one is aged and the other one is not, but the Sommelier Select Nebbiolo has much more flavor than the Winexpert. The WE isn't bad, but side by side nobody would choose it over the SS. I paid $125 or so for the WE a year ago, and $170 for the SS earlier this year (my second kit of it). Have I mentioned how delicious the SS Nebbiolo is? Well worth the higher price. I'm putting this in my "two kits a year" category so I always have it available.

Back