Where to begin (Can just go buy juice or need to order ahead?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FranklinFarms_Winery

Reaction score
I have been making beer for some time and have a setup to brew beer from malted grains (even grow my own hops). I am just considering getting into winemaking from juice and want to start very simply. I heard that there is a certain time of year in the fall where you can go to the strip district (Pittsburgh, PA) and buy pales of refrigerated juice with yeast already added. You just buy it, take it home, warm to room temperature and wait, and wait (with some racking).
Is this correct? If so, can anyone tell me specifically when this is available and what stores would you recommend to visit?
Thanks for the help.
Steve

There are numerous places on the strip where you can buy juice when it's in season. Right now you can probably find some CA juice pails down there. Your other option is to drive up to Presque Isle Wine Cellars in North East PA and buy fresh pressed juice. Probably about a two hour drive for you. I waited on a pile of folks from Pittsburg today and one person that drove up from NC.

Comsumers Produce and Premier Produce are selling juice buckets. There is also, LuvaBella's in Poland Ohio but that is probably about a hour and half drive for you.

Just purchased 3 buckets of juice yesterday. Pinot Noir, Ruby Cabernet, and a Cabernet Sauvignon. Bought it from consumers produce. Awesome place. My juice was not inoculated with wine yeast. I had to put 1/4 tsp of k-meta and today I will pitch my wine yeast and place in the carboys.

Back