Wine Volcano

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Coach.....nice to meet you....tell us what you do or did for a living and about your wine experience

Adding the oak is adding a place for the nucleus of the trapped C02 molecule to attract to and when its does it pops like a balloon on a popcorn ceiling.

ibglowin said:
If you add just the yeast nutrient all by itself there is no volcanic activity. It is only when you add the oak into the mix after the nutrient that you get the massive release of gas.

I wish!

I guess I'm lucky to have never had a volcano!!
Kit or grapes - I don't use DAP and I always wait to add the oak cubes after fermentation - during aging.

Just luck??

ibglowin said:
If you add just the yeast nutrient all by itself there is no volcanic activity. It is only when you add the oak into the mix after the nutrient that you get the massive release of gas.

Today I added some nutrient to my Apple wine that is fermenting.... It fizzed and bubbled like crazy when I added it. I have no oak in it.

I did it as a test, and I will say... if it was in a carboy.... there was certainly enough to cause a volcano.

Maybe it depends on the brand or quality of the nutrient????

Anytime you add a solid like undissolved powder to the equation it is a spot for the nucleus's to attract and disperse. It will do this with anything like this especially k meta.

Apple and pear juice seem to be the most volatile fermenters for me. I'll usually add the nutrient to the sample I am using for the SG and will slowly add that mixture back in to the rest. Just another reason I like to ferment to dry in the bucket.

Back