2024 Winemaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StimVino

Home Winemaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2024 winemaking kicked off for me this weekend. Early Sat morning, I picked up 1,000 lbs of grapes that I had ordered a few weeks prior from a local supplier. On the way home, the pallet shifted a little in my truck and I almost lost some precious cargo. My father-n-law generously helped unload grapes and get equipment sanitized before he had to leave to attend a neighbor's wedding.

Main Varietals:
Merlot - 8 lugs (288 lbs)
Malbec - 6 lugs (216 lbs)
Zinfandel - 6 lugs (216 lbs)

Blenders:
Cabernet Sauvignon - 2 lugs (72 lbs)
Petite Sirah - 2 lugs (72 lbs)
Cabernet Franc - 2 lugs (72 lbs)
Alicante Bouschet - 2 lugs (72 lbs)

By 10:00am everything was ready when 'my Crew' arrived (ie the rest of the family). We sorted and crushed everything in about 5 hours, with a nice lunch break in between where we drank some of last years vintage together for the first time. After crush, everyone left and I was finished cleaning by about 9pm. At this point in the day, I was pretty tired, so I took initial measurements on the must, made acid adjustments, added enzyme, and went to bed.

Initial Measurements:
Merlot (~17.2 gal) - 25.6 brix | 3.96 ph | 3.00 g/L TA (before adjustment)
Malbec (~12.9 gal) - 24.8 brix | 3.45 ph | 4.66 g/L TA (before adjustment)
Zinfandel (~12.9 gal) - 25.3 brix | 4.27 ph | 3.57 g/L TA (before adjustment)

Initial Must Adjustments:
Merlot (~17.2 gal) - 10 tsp Tartaric Acid | 4 cups Oak Cubes | 23 mL Color Pro
Malbec (~12.9 gal) - (No Acid Adjustment) | 2 cups Oak Cubes | 17 mL Color Pro
Zinfandel (~12.9 gal) - 8 tsp Tartaric Acid | 2 cups Oak Cubes | 17 mL Color Pro

Next morning, the Merlot had a 3.69ph & the Zin had a 3.59ph. I pitched some bentonite, yeast nutrient, BM 4x4 yeast for the Main Varietals. For the Blenders, I made similar adjustments including adding sugar to the Petite Sirah to get it around 24 brix (came in at 21.5 brix), since I will eventually be blending with the Zin and don't want it to dilute the alcohol. The Alicante I left at 22 brix, since I don't have a specific plan for this one. The color of the Alicante is amazing, see last pic. The Blenders are all using RC212 yeast.

Will try to post more pics as I go, if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_6177.JPG
    IMG_6177.JPG
    6.2 MB
  • IMG_6180.JPG
    IMG_6180.JPG
    2.1 MB
  • grapes.jpg
    grapes.jpg
    109.1 KB
  • Crush.jpg
    Crush.jpg
    109.1 KB
  • IMG_6220.JPG
    IMG_6220.JPG
    3.7 MB
  • IMG_6210.JPG
    IMG_6210.JPG
    2.5 MB
  • IMG_6224.JPG
    IMG_6224.JPG
    3.9 MB
Love it! I brought in 1/2T grapes too but only one varietal, can't imagine crushing 7...

What kind of crusher/destemmer is that?
Thanks, im still in the experimental phase of my winemaking so I need to try a lot of different blends to see what I like. My goal is to find out what works well and what doesn’t.

The crusher destemmer is a manual Enoitalia from Winemakers Depot that was supposed to be all stainless steel, but came with the painted red wheel and stand. It does have rubber rollers. I also added red caster wheels to it. Honestly, if I ever get another one it will be motorized.

Better Pic with my Brother-n-law

Attachments

• IMG_3109.jpeg
    IMG_3109.jpeg
    3.1 MB
Last edited:
Back