Another Newbie Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveV

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone see a problem with leaving a hydrometer floating in the primary bucket during fermentation. Saves a couple of cleaning and sanitizing steps.

Thanks again for the knowledge. :sm

Does anyone see a problem with leaving a hydrometer floating in the primary bucket during fermentation. Saves a couple of cleaning and sanitizing steps.

Thanks again for the knowledge. :sm

I do this but you need to be careful when stirring the must AND don't use your hydrometer to stir the must. I believe there are several others who do this as well. I use a hydrometer that also shows the temp of the must.

I have left both a thermometer and an hydrometer in the wine during primary fermentation. As Julie points out, be careful when stirring. It does not take much to break either one.

Thanks for the responses but it brings me to another question. Both replies refer to siring the must. I am doing a kit wine and it mentions nowhere to stir during the fermentation process. Is this a practice of experience that I should be doing or follow the directions as I am?

Thanks for the responses but it brings me to another question. Both replies refer to siring the must. I am doing a kit wine and it mentions nowhere to stir during the fermentation process. Is this a practice of experience that I should be doing or follow the directions as I am?
It is only necessary to stir a wine when something is floating (eg grape skins, oak tea bag). Some people stir anyway because they feel it adds oxygen to the must/wine, and stirs yeast up from the bottom.

IMO, if the yeast has settled to the bottom then the fermentation is ending anyway. Vigourous stirring prior to pitching the yeast (to mix the bentonite and the water and the concentrate) will probably add enough oxygen to the must. Stirring towards the end of fermentation will probably introduce oxygen too late and may oxidize the wine a little.

Steve

I leave mine in. Stirring is only a matter of pushing down pulp not really stirring. Not all use bentonite in the beginning which is good because it does aid in helping keep yeast in suspension and a little stir would aid in such case.

Latest posts

Back