Bottle shock?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump
Back home now from Vancouver and happened to open another bottle of S.A. Cab Sauv and I was surprised to find that it was not good; it tasted the same as the one opened in Van. that I thought was affected by the plane flight. Now I'm thinking the wine has just entered a dumb phase. Sure hope so, I still have almost 2 cases of it ( 2008 LE kit).
Just thought I'd let you know.
Lurker - did you fly your wine with no problems?

?
Bump
Back home now from Vancouver and happened to open another bottle of S.A. Cab Sauv and I was surprised to find that it was not good; it tasted the same as the one opened in Van. that I thought was affected by the plane flight. Now I'm thinking the wine has just entered a dumb phase. Sure hope so, I still have almost 2 cases of it ( 2008 LE kit).
Just thought I'd let you know.
Lurker - did you fly your wine with no problems?
I did not fly my wines.

Simple answer

I suspect that the ground crew saw a good thing in your fine wine and, after consuming the good stuff, simply refilled the bottles with local plonk. On the next trip, slip the bottles into your carry-on bag (along with a couple of suitable glasses).

:ot:Gotta say I have seen them both I have sideways in my collection Had friends from collage like that. Blood into wine is another interesting. movie sorry off topic!

Sorry, you had said you were going to fly some wine from St Petes to Phila

Sorry for the quick reply from my phone. This is the first time on the puter in a while. Yes, I was going to bring the wine with me to Tampa but thought better of it. I certainly hope that Banjoe is not right. In the future I may still do it. I have some Amarone that my grand son likes and if I get there before he gets here, I'll bring it down and let you know how it worked out.

I would be tempted to open (only) one of the other bottles you brought.
Maybe that one bottle had some other issue. Cork Taint, some other bacteria, who knows.
Now if another bottle suffers the same fate, maybe it is bottle shock.

"Bottle Shock" has to be my favorite movie, although not everything in the movie was factual. Certainly the wine being from Napa and the results of the competition, were definitely factual.

Anyone out there who hasn't seen the movie should; it's a real treat.

The soundtrack (Mark Adler) to that movie was great! :p

Sprinkle in some Doobie Bros, Allman Bros, Foghat, America, Bad Co. I found it on Amazon as a MP3 download for pretty cheap price.

Yep, great music.
I haven't purchased either the movie or the sound track, since I get the movie through Netflix instant queue. If I could not get it so easily, I'd sure buy the movie.

Back