Bottling alternative?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kylandsales.com said:
now that's funny! I'll do it.

any secrets for easy label removal? I do beer as well - and that can be a time.

Brad,

As you stated pay attention to Craigslist for bottles. Freecycle, a Yahoo group, also could be a good source. I have a local bar near me that saves me their bottles. I drop in once a week and make a collection and drink a beer. Its usually 3-5 bottles a week, but they multiply like rabbits. I also have a hotel bar room connection that can get me about 15 a week, so if I really need to get some fast, I can go there.

As far as cleaning goes, the best way is an overnight soak in oxyclean/sun cleaner, and a plastic dish scraper. To remove the residual glue that doesn't come off as easily (as well as label paper) use a green scotch pad (or the cheap thin one works well too).

When I was gathering bottles, I would find that about 1 in 3 were the 1.5 liter bottles. To me they are too big and don't store as easily, so I don't use them. Like others say, you will find there are quite a few of the bigger ones out there. All you need to do is look. Check your lanfill, recycling center, restaurants and friends. You will have more than you want in no time.

thank you for the tips. The bar and restaurant thing is perfect.

FeeCycle and Oxyclean, eh? Perfecto!

I'll let you know how I make out. A-Wining we will go, a wining we will go....

I think tepe meant 1.5L, not 1.5ml. That would be an awfully small bottle. Not sure how you'd get a cork in it.
smiley36.gif

Based on your original question I'd do the wine on tap. I don't have one but it looks as if it works the same as the commercial boxed wines. You wouldn't be bottling, you'd be bagging. What I'm not sure about is whether or not you can bag a 6 gallon batch. Perhaps George can enlighten us?

Whino,
Darn spell check. Musta been to much wine when I sent it out. I wouldn't waste my timefilling a 1.5 ml bottle. A 1.5 liter, now thats worth filling.

Surprised it took so long for someone to see that mistake.

Back